Hi from Vermont

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
GeekyWife

Hi from Vermont

#1 Post by GeekyWife » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Hello, everyone. My name is Cathy. I live in a small town in Vermont.

I've always been interested in science, and took an elective in Field Biology that gave me some hands-on sample collecting experience with an excellent professor. But majoring in engineering, I couldn't put much time into biology.

After doing amateur astronomy for decades, I finally got tired of all the nights that are too cloudy or too cold to observe. So I just bought my first "real" microscopes, a stereo 20X/40X LED with top and bottom lighting, and a trinocular compound microscope (T490B) with dark field condenser, both from AmScope. No camera yet, as my immediate budget has been spent.

I'm particularly interested in pond life, ciliates, rotifers, nematodes, etc. I've seen a few so far in water samples that were collected nearby.

Dark field has been very impressive. I'm planning to make some improvised Rheinberg filters soon.

It's good I found this site. We have a good local nature center, but no microscope club (or astronomy club either).

Challenger007

Re: Hi from Vermont

#2 Post by Challenger007 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello! I'm also new to the forum. There is so much interesting information and answers to questions that I didn’t even have a need to ask anything - there are so many different interesting information here.

eggbox1egg

#3 Post by eggbox1egg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:01 pm

i am you are the massachusett

jk lol

Matty S

#4 Post by Matty S » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:51 am

Hi Cathy,
New here as well and also an avid astro guy when the clouds and temps here in NH comply. I bought a couple scopes too, stereo and binocular/compound to explore the pond life nearby. I'm glad I'm not the only astro buff in New England with the same thinking! I love exploring with optics. ;)

linuxusr

#5 Post by linuxusr » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:07 pm

GeekyWife wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm
Hello, everyone. My name is Cathy. I live in a small town in Vermont.

I've always been interested in science, and took an elective in Field Biology that gave me some hands-on sample collecting experience with an excellent professor. But majoring in engineering, I couldn't put much time into biology.

After doing amateur astronomy for decades, I finally got tired of all the nights that are too cloudy or too cold to observe. So I just bought my first "real" microscopes, a stereo 20X/40X LED with top and bottom lighting, and a trinocular compound microscope (T490B) with dark field condenser, both from AmScope. No camera yet, as my immediate budget has been spent.

I'm particularly interested in pond life, ciliates, rotifers, nematodes, etc. I've seen a few so far in water samples that were collected nearby.

Dark field has been very impressive. I'm planning to make some improvised Rheinberg filters soon.

It's good I found this site. We have a good local nature center, but no microscope club (or astronomy club either).
Hello, Vermonter! I was born in Keene, N.H. and Vermont has always had a special place in my heart. In my youth and at different times throughout my life I spent time in Putney and Brattleboro; and Burlington and Essex Junction. What's your definition of "small town"? I spent some time in Wentworth, N.H. (pop. 300).

You will have no difficulty collecting specimens, lichens, you name it!
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.