Greetings Fellow Lovers of the Very Small

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
natedoggraymond

Greetings Fellow Lovers of the Very Small

#1 Post by natedoggraymond » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:18 am

Hello all!

I'm very excited to be a part of this great forum!

I am a young college student and a passionate biology major. I could see my career or some of my research coming out of my experience with microscopy. It is certainly something I love. I have been greatly inspired by the work of James Weiss and Hank Green with Journey to the Microcosmos and dream of creating and/or experiencing content like theirs.

My microscope history consists of a toy microscope and using some now at university and a few in high school.

My goals with microscopy are discovery, personal research, and microphotography/videography. I seek to look at, identify, and learn more about microbes of all kinds. I intend to begin with the somewhat larger pondwater protists. I am currently shopping for my first real microscope.

Glad to be here!

DonSchaeffer

Re: Greetings Fellow Lovers of the Very Small

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 pm

Welcome. There is a variety of microscope lovers in here. I am an old retired person and know nothing technical. I just love looking and taking pictures.

Rossf

#3 Post by Rossf » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:47 pm

Hey natedoggraymond -ditto-if I may offer advice-if you get a quadruple scope,make sure it’s got a 20 or 25x or get one get one to go with it-it’s easily the most used mag for pond protists.Heaps of scopes skip it with 4x,10x,40x,100x-or get a quintuple-you miss so much jumping from 10 straight to 40x-I’m starting to really like the alt set up of 6.3x,16x,25x,40x-another good options IMO.
Have fun with it.
Regards Ross

natedoggraymond

#4 Post by natedoggraymond » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 am

Rossf wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:47 pm
Hey natedoggraymond -ditto-if I may offer advice-if you get a quadruple scope,make sure it’s got a 20 or 25x or get one get one to go with it-it’s easily the most used mag for pond protists.Heaps of scopes skip it with 4x,10x,40x,100x-or get a quintuple-you miss so much jumping from 10 straight to 40x-I’m starting to really like the alt set up of 6.3x,16x,25x,40x-another good options IMO.
Have fun with it.
Regards Ross
This is great advice Ross. I didn't see any scopes in my shopping that were of this variety and I was also unaware of it. Luckily, I bought a scope for which 20x and 60x objectives are readily available. So, I won't have the 6.3x, 16x, or 25x options, but I can get closeish. Thank you!

Rossf

#5 Post by Rossf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm

So you’ve got a scope natedoggraymond? You’ve welcome show it off in the “my microscope” section of this forum-it’s where excited microscopists post a pic and rave about their new current set up-people often have used the same scope and offer advice etc. it’s a bit of fun!
Regards Ross
P.S when looking for protist try to find amoeba proteus-I find them in pond water fairly often.I think they are the largest type and they are spectacular to watch. Here’s a pic I took so you know what to look for-they have distinctive “shriveled” pseudopods at the back end.Phaco is just the Leitz type of phase contrast I used. Have fun!
Attachments
51DEBEFD-B340-45A2-A152-03E7DF82E371.jpeg
51DEBEFD-B340-45A2-A152-03E7DF82E371.jpeg (196.73 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

natedoggraymond

#6 Post by natedoggraymond » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:10 am

Rossf wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:36 pm
So you’ve got a scope natedoggraymond? You’ve welcome show it off in the “my microscope” section of this forum-it’s where excited microscopists post a pic and rave about their new current set up-people often have used the same scope and offer advice etc. it’s a bit of fun!
Regards Ross
P.S when looking for protist try to find amoeba proteus-I find them in pond water fairly often.I think they are the largest type and they are spectacular to watch. Here’s a pic I took so you know what to look for-they have distinctive “shriveled” pseudopods at the back end.Phaco is just the Leitz type of phase contrast I used. Have fun!
Rossf, thank you! I think I will post in that section! I like that idea and have really been enjoying my scope! And thank you for the pond protist idea! I have yet to see any amoebas, but I will keep my eyes open! Thank you for your advice and kindness!