Good night, everyone!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
tpruuden

Good night, everyone!

#1 Post by tpruuden » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 am

Cloudy nights here have turned my gaze from macro to micro ;).
Interested in automated observation setups; confocal, Raman, hyperspectral and other types of interesting observation systems.

Voyager-1

Re: Good night, everyone!

#2 Post by Voyager-1 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:52 am

tpruuden,
Welcome to the forum. Joined for interaction in the Micro world also. Clouds and frosty nights hindered the night skies in the Northeast New England.
Where are you posting pictures?, mentioning confocal really picks my interest because of the high res imaging bordering on electron microphotography. On the subject of raman spectroscopy, what do you use as subjects? I mess with the infrared and UV (micro, macro and camera) end of the spectrum.
See you around the forum, be happy looking up and inwards!

V

DrPhoxinus

#3 Post by DrPhoxinus » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 am

There are a lot of cloudy night astronomers here.
Southeast Michigan is bad for both weather and light pollution.

Microscopes are reliable in any weather. :-)

Gerard

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:26 am

Likewise difficult to do astronomy here in Beantown (Boston). Microscopy is so much easier.

Almost had a chance to play with SEM at MIT, then COVID hit and access became difficult even for MIT employees.

elwaine

#5 Post by elwaine » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:00 pm

Wow! It’s a contagion. I’m in the same boat. After decades as an amateur astronomer, I’m making the switch from the Macro world to the Micro world. Not only have I grown weary of light polluted skies, but now that I’m old, the desire to set up and take down my beloved 7” TEC Mak has completely lost its charm.

There are certainly many friendly, knowledgeable guys and gals here. Hope this forum is as much fun as CN was.

LeonhardEuler

#6 Post by LeonhardEuler » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

tpruuden wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 am
Cloudy nights here have turned my gaze from macro to micro ;).
Interested in automated observation setups; confocal, Raman, hyperspectral and other types of interesting observation systems.
I wondered last night about the potential of an AI system that is capable of tracking moving targets while keeping them at optimal focus

Similar to how drone tracking features work, where you can get the drone to keep an object in frame.

I also have other ideas, but I am keeping those under non-disclosure for now.

I was a computer scientists and a philosopher before becoming engaging in microscopy, I am having some ideas that would be interesting to implement for improving the personal experience of this field.

tpruuden

#7 Post by tpruuden » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:17 pm

LeonhardEuler wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

I wondered last night about the potential of an AI system that is capable of tracking moving targets while keeping them at optimal focus

I also have other ideas, but I am keeping those under non-disclosure for now.

I was a computer scientists and a philosopher before becoming engaging in microscopy, I am having some ideas that would be interesting to implement for improving the personal experience of this field.
Neural network auto tracker (arbitrary target) controlling X Y positioning stages is quite possible now. Still, needs really good PC hardware to run the tracker fast enough (40..50 frames per second is already pushing it).

DrPhoxinus

#8 Post by DrPhoxinus » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:18 pm

GeekyWife

#9 Post by GeekyWife » Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 am

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I haven't given up astronomy, and light pollution is not too bad in rural Vermont, but I am tired of fighting lousy weather and poor seeing.

I've always been interested in the life sciences, but I'm putting more effort into them the last few years.