Hello from Budapest, Hungary

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
GeorgeL

Hello from Budapest, Hungary

#1 Post by GeorgeL » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello everybody,
I inherited a microscope from my sister 6 years ago and this spring I was ready to sell it on E-bay, but while I was trying to figure out how much it is worth, I kept digging and digging in the world of microscopes and eventually ended up viewing many, excellent educational videos made by Oliver. As a result, I had a change of heart and decided to keep the microscope (see specs below, in my signature) and start learning more stuff about this subject.

Besides learning more and more about using microscope daily, I am considering purchasing a 60x objective and will try to avoid using the 100x one with oil, plus I am also considering buying a 5MP USB camera in the future. (and maybe I'll consider replacing the halogen bulb system with a brighter LED one, we'll see.)

My background is in car repair, engine diagnostics and IT on the operation side, so really, this stuff for me is going to be a hobby of some sort primarily - I hope. :)

GeorgeL
Bresser Researcher Trino (older model, 6V/20W halogen bulb)
Objectives: 4x/0.1, 10x/0.25, 40x/0.65, 100x/1.25 oil
Loupes: 10x, 12.5x, 20x

75RR

Re: Hello from Budapest, Hungary

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi GeorgeL, welcome.

Nice starter microscope for your introduction to microscopy - and free as well!

You might find a 20x more useful (fits in nicely between the 10x and the 40x) and certainly easier to use than the 60x which tend to be fussier.

I would also suggest that you use the illumination the microscope came with initially, it might well prove perfectly adequate and if not you will have the experience with it to

be able to make a fair comparison to the LED if you do decide to try a conversion.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Welcome to the forum!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:53 pm

I'd second 75rr's recommendations.

Also add that the typical 60x dry objective offers doesn't touch the image quality of an oil immersion 100x objective with most specimens. 40x (400x) is enough magnification to see most plant and animal cells. If higher magnification is needed, it's worth the tiny bit of trouble to add a drop of oil for viewing and then take ten seconds to remove the oil from the slide and objective after.

GeorgeL

#5 Post by GeorgeL » Wed May 12, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you for the nice welcome and advises, I'm sorry for the late answer, family and other matters prevented me to devote any time to my new hobby until now.

Based on what I have already read about microscoping indeed I don't need LED bulb generally, but I might when I'm using dark field condenser. I will see and decide later.

And I won't invest in a 60x lens for now, will try the 100x with oil. :)
Bresser Researcher Trino (older model, 6V/20W halogen bulb)
Objectives: 4x/0.1, 10x/0.25, 40x/0.65, 100x/1.25 oil
Loupes: 10x, 12.5x, 20x