New member with an old question

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Jimbo

New member with an old question

#1 Post by Jimbo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:10 am

Hello all, my name is Jim and I’m glad I found this forum.
First of all, many thanks to Oliver for getting me excited about microscopy as a hobby. I binge watch his videos whenever possible. I have become somewhat disabled in my later years, and this hobby won’t be too physical.
Researching which scope to buy (the old question everybody gets!) I’m totally not impressed with “2500X magnification” claims. I have been an amateur astronomer for 20 years and understand empty magnification.
I had pretty much decided on the Swift 380T until I saw Amscope T300B for only 225 US dollars.
My budget is 400 dollars max. I can’t find any reviews on the T300B.
Thanks in advance! Jim

Greg Howald

Re: New member with an old question

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:35 am

I can't speak to you about the Swift but I can give you a little info concerning the t300. It is a basic scope of small stature and is not expandable in that phase contrast or dark field condenser are not available. You will have to make your own stops for dark field. Simple cross polarization is not difficult and it's easy to find a camera for it. It is a clearance item. There is no downloadable user manual. Qualified advisory persons seem hard to come by at Amscope.
Greg

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 am

You might want to check locally for used microscope listings as well. $400 will sometimes get a far better microscope than either the Swift or Amscope you're looking at. As an astronomer, you'd likely be in a position to check for things defective or missing and perhaps end up with a far better built microscope; perhaps with plan achromat rather than not-so-plan achromat objectives.

Stomias

#4 Post by Stomias » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 am

I've given my advice limited to my own beginners experience. I bought one of these a couple of months ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reichert-Micro ... Swta1gRjwQ Mine had all 5 objective spots filled and has been a joy to use. I paid 150.00 for reference. Also an amateur astronomer here. Beware of anyone advertising 2500X. You know what that's called in astronomy......Hobby killer..here are some shots from my Microstar IV https://photos.app.goo.gl/vpVqcZnin7H9wUEa7

Jimbo

#5 Post by Jimbo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 pm

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. I will take all the help I can get.
Knowing that the T300B isn’t upgradable rules it out I think, even though I may never actually upgrade, it’s nice to know that I can.
Haven’t looked into used scopes yet, but I live near a college town and maybe they have some.
Beautiful pics of aquarium life, thanks , however I am looking for a trinocular head . I would like others to see a monitor of what I am looking at in real time.
So far the Swift 380T is in the lead.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:06 pm

I have no experience with the Swift microscopes, so cannot give an honest comment in regard to them.
Others have mentioned it and I agree that a $400 budget is likely to get you a usable, but simple new microscope or a pretty nice used one. I am also relatively new, I've been using microscopes for years, but hadn't really dove into it seriously until recently. In the past year I have learned so much.

Stomias mentioned the Microstar IV, which I also have and agree that it is a great instrument, though a bit lacking in expandable features. I personally do not consider that a disadvantage. For brightfield, darkfield, phase contrast, etc, each of these needs some particular accessory to be changed, sometimes several, and I find that it is easier and less frustrating to have a particular microscope dedicated o the task. Swapping out condensers and objectives, then realigning the microscope when you want to use it isn't what most people are after.

Best advice I can give is to discuss what you intend to look at and let that guide your first purchase. I think that will spur discussion and if you're anything like me, it will open up questions and lead you in directions you might not have even been aware of previously.

Red_Green

#7 Post by Red_Green » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 pm

My advice, is don't listen to the people bashing on the Amscope. Amscope makes amazing microscopes and I would highly recommended them. Especially the T490.

The only reason people bash on them is simply because Amscope isn't the "big 4". Kind of like with guitars. If it isn't a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocastor or marshall amps than it's not a "real guitar" People that can afford to and don't mind spending the extra $5,000 for the sole reason of having a brand name displayed on something they buy.

Amscopes makes awesome equipment.

BramHuntingNematodes

#8 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Oh, I think you'll find Greg He's criticism model specific. He is an enthusiastic user of AmScope instruments.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

#9 Post by dtsh » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:47 pm
My advice, is don't listen to the people bashing on the Amscope. Amscope makes amazing microscopes and I would highly recommended them. Especially the T490.

The only reason people bash on them is simply because Amscope isn't the "big 4". Kind of like with guitars. If it isn't a Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocastor or marshall amps than it's not a "real guitar" People that can afford to and don't mind spending the extra $5,000 for the sole reason of having a brand name displayed on something they buy.

Amscopes makes awesome equipment.
I don't have anything in particular against AmScope, Swift, or any of the import scopes, but there's a reason the price is where it is and there are compromises to get there. Do these matter for an entry user with an entry microscope? Probably not, but when that AmScope needs a new part or you want to add some extra functionality to it you may be more limited than with a more expensive model regardless of brand. Again, does that matter to an entry level user? Probably not so much, but it might for some. The big 4 don't have a monopoly on quality and modern manufacturing allows for some pretty amazing instruments to be sold at a very reasonable price point.

Where I personally think the most instrument can be had for the least money is in buying a used instrument. Every microscope needs to be evaluated when it arrives, new or old, to ensure everything is working as intended. In either case one should research a variety of models they are considering to get to know how to compare features in the market and to know what to check to ensure all is operational. New or old, if what you get isn't what was described, it should go back or be appropriately addressed by the vendor. That said, I readilly understand that for some people the delays and effort of finding a quality used instrument may not be appealing, some people don't like to tinker and there's nothing wrong with that. The same $400 spent on a new scope, a good used scope, and a selection of used scopes needing repair, should deliver a good scope to the buyer, though I suspect in the last two options there will be the opportunity to end up with a superior instrument for the individual who's patient and thourough. Whatever option one goes with, even if that's with a cheap $20 USB "microscope" there is a lot one can do and learn and share; the best instrument is the one that gets used.