Hi, Greetings from the Welsh valleys!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
brianjc

Hi, Greetings from the Welsh valleys!

#1 Post by brianjc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi Guys,

My name is Brian and greetings from the Welsh valleys!

What an incredible site forum with so many helpful, interesting and knowledgeable people, I’ve been so interested in microscopy for years and finally taken the plunge in my first microscope which is a Swift SW380T with 5MP cam.

In fact it’s due to be delivered anytime now so waiting eagerly!

May thanks, Brian.

75RR

Re: Hi, Greetings from the Welsh valleys!

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi brianjc, welcome.

A trinocular microscope is a good choice if you want to record or share your adventures in the microscopic world.

I shared a binocular head with my camera for several months, I now celebrate 'trinocular day' (when I finally upgraded the head) religiously ;)

I can still remember when a pint of Brains was 33p!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

brianjc

#3 Post by brianjc » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Thanks mate for your reply,

In the last hour I receive it, out of the box (hair sample) so far and blown away!

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:35 am

Hi brianjc -welcome to the forum-I understand the area you live is pronounced “Valeeeeeees”-am I right? One of my favourite UK accents! What’s your particular interest for your new microscope? When I was nursing I met a cute Welsh couple who were both 95 years old and had been married for 80 years! They met at 15 climbing a giant coal pile-later they moved to Australia.
Have fun
Ross

brianjc

#5 Post by brianjc » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:58 am

Hi Ross, nice to meet you.

Interested in all aspects of science and particular microscopy, any hints / tips please let me know 'boyo'!

Brian.

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:41 am

Well brianjc in my opinion you can’t go wrong starting with pond life-it’s like the kindergarten of microscopy-or the three R’s in education-there’s just so many incredible microbes from just one type of ecosystem-or if you go to the beach collect sea foam and let it liquidise back to slush-wack a bit of that under the scope-you often see similar critters to pond life but they just have this different bent to them-like water nymphs designed the pond microbes but Poseidon designed the sea microbes!-Estuaries are particularly good as they are very rich in diversity as the water is a combo of fresh water and sea water-do you garden? If so get thy compost diluted in water and wack that under the scope-you’ll see amazing things-another fun trick is to get different plants,crush them enough to ooze juice then swipe all over a slide-no coverslip,as it dries the plant juices crystallise in distinctive patterns depending on the species-dandelions often crystallise into perfect little crosses. Microbe division is also a wonder to behold-a lot of critters take about half an hour or maybe longer-a lot of them go into a ball shape in preparation and if you see a ball with lot of innards swirling about inside it might be getting ready to divide-now will that drop of water last long enough to see the entire process? I don’t know! So get some cavity slides that hold a bit more water than regular slide/coverslip and don’t dry out as quick-saves the frustration of having the last wonder of division-where what was once one is now two or even four microbes swimming away from each other...being completely interrupted by a big bloody bubble pushing everything of interest to the winds...I promise you this is sooo much better than reality TV or watching dowdy ol’ Vera solve yet another crime! I have to ask did you ever see SuperTed? I heard it was a cartoon done in the native Welsh language...hope I’ve given you a few ideas to get started-and there’s no rules-I’m sure you’ll come up with some cool things to look at under the scope just observing and staying inquisitive.
Have fun
SuperTed has to fly away now
Regards

brianjc

#7 Post by brianjc » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:44 pm

Hi Ross, hope your well.

Great to here from you and fascinating comments, I just need to get more confident in microscopy as its a complex wonderful world, as you have pointed out to look out for which I am so grateful for your help.

Re Super Ted, I believe the BBC are going to revamp it but as the creator Mike Young has passed away not sure if its will go ahead?

Anyway, if your ever in Wales let me know and I'll treat you to a pint or 2!!

Kind regards, Brian.

jeffery163

#8 Post by jeffery163 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:03 pm

Great to have you here. Kindly post some picture when you get it

Chris H

#9 Post by Chris H » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi Brian
I recently bought myself a Swift SW380B and I am very impressed with it so far. I also got a box of 100 prepared slides at the same time.
I shall have a go at making my own slides soon, I live on the East coast of Norfolk so I have access to the sea and the Norfolk Broads to try to collect samples from.
Good luck with the hobby
Chris