Hello from Salvador, Bahia

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
j almeida

Hello from Salvador, Bahia

#1 Post by j almeida » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:31 pm

Hello everybody,
I started this hobby about 60 years ago (I`m 75), but only after retiring have I been able to dedicate significant time to it. Making diatom slides, recovering used microscopes and testing /evaluating objectives and eyepieces, microscope technologies and history describe most of my microscopy interests. Opportunities for collecting diatoms occur frequently, since I live part of the year near the sea, and part near fresh water streams and lakes.
Glad to joyn this interesting group, I look forward to learn from you guys, and help whenever I can.

75RR

Re: Hello from Salvador, Bahia

#2 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:39 pm

Welcome j almeida,

do post some photos of your microscope in the 'My microscope' section when you have a moment. I am sure we would all like to see them.

Looking forward to your diatom photos!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi, welcome to the forum!
Do you observe your diatoms in living condition or do you make permanent slides from them?
Looking forward to what you will post here.

Bob

jeffery163

#4 Post by jeffery163 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum

j almeida

#5 Post by j almeida » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 pm

Hello Bob, I like to observe the diatoms live, but also make permanent slides, either with Pleurax or with Naphtrax. I make strew slides, since I don´t have the ability to select and arrange them. My sources are the Atlantic coast of Bahia (13°S 38°w) and the streams and lakes of the Pirenees and the Alps. From the Atlantic I have the most prevalent for the location, such as Pleurosigma, Navicula, Coscinodiscus, Gyrosigma, Surirella,but also Podocystis Americana, Cymatopleura, Campylodiscus, Actynoptichus, Triceratium, and others I can´t identify. From freshwater, the common ones, Epithemia, Cocconeis, Denticula, Frustulia, etc, but also Surirella Spiralis. I am not a conosseur, I try to identify by comparison with samples in the internet. Are yoy a diatom colector?