Hi , I'm Chris (from Paris)

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
chrisimbee

Hi , I'm Chris (from Paris)

#1 Post by chrisimbee » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 pm

Hello ;
I'm Chris ; I live in Paris and i've recently found out about this forum as I've been following the youtube channel Microbe hunter for some months now :)

I had my first microscope as a kid a long time ago ; it was some kind of toy microscope that could magnify up to 100x ; and then a few years later I got a,other one that was still some kind of educationnal toy but still had 3 objectivs and could go up to x750 at best.
paralux PCB.jpg
paralux PCB.jpg (9.06 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
I studied biology a bit and with the money I earned from my 1st summer job I bought my 1st real microscope (Paralux PCB that could give decent images with achromatique objective of fair quality) You can find the exact same on ebay at the moment !!!

And some 10 years ago I bought a Bresser trino that is like this one :
bresser-researcher-trino-ii-40-1000x.jpg
bresser-researcher-trino-ii-40-1000x.jpg (9.81 KiB) Viewed 2767 times
At the moment I've resumed protozoa observation and am looking for amoeba proteus :)

I've managed so far to cultivate some other species of amoeba like amoeba mayorella ; cochliopodium sp ; a kind of heliozoa , arcellina vulgaris and another species I havent been able to identify yet .

I registered here as I want to learn more about microscopy technique and share my observations and findings in a friendly and open way :)

Also recently thanks to microhunter video i've discovered what phase contrast was and I'm building my own device (i'll post the détails soon ) :)
microscope Olympus BH2-BHTU+epifluo RFC @ 470 nm
Zeiss neofluar x16Ph, x40Ph, x100 oilPh
LOMO Ph x10 X20 X40 X90oil
Olympus SPFl x2
Olympus SPx20, SPx40 SPx100
camera astro ZWO ASI 120MM (n&b) et ZWO ASI 120 MC (colour)
Nikon D3100

Greg Howald

Re: Hi , I'm Chris (from Paris)

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm

Good luck with that project. I tried to make my own phase system but failed miserably.
Greg

jeffery163

#3 Post by jeffery163 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:01 pm

Nice story down the lane. Goodluck with the practical

viktor j nilsson

#4 Post by viktor j nilsson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 pm

Welcome to this great forum, Chris! Good to see you here - I'm the Swedish guy that sold you the phase objective that's now on its way to you. I hope you enjoy it. It's a lot of fun to tinker with different illumination techniques, and the folks on this forum are always happy to help. Do keep us updated on how it goes!

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi Chris,
welcome to the forum!
Do you plan to convert microscope objectives to phase contrast or make phase annulli for existing objectives?

Bob

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:23 am

G’day chrisimbee-looking for amoeba proteus was a big priority for me as well! Especially once I got some phase optics-I found some in a neighbours frog pond that had a bubbler to keep things fresh- but they are so friggin’ large you can see them quite well in bright field-and with just 100x-in fact I can often make them out with a 4x in dark field.I’m pretty obsessed with amoebas of all types and I recommend making a worm farm for vege scraps if you’ve got the space-I’ve never seen so many types of amoebas as in worm castings!
Good luck
P.S if you want to get more into phase I’ve found zeiss and Leitz made some handy sets that have 10x,20x,32x and even 40x (Leitz) that only need the same size annulus so you can just hand make a filter slot annulus for a simple condenser and not need a turrret at all....

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:38 am

Ah, I'd be very interested in seeing what phase device you can cook up. I am still performing.some.phase experiments of my own with a few results here andthere
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

brandon lamp

#8 Post by brandon lamp » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:09 pm

Welcome to the forum..