Newbie and a question

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
bill_gk

Newbie and a question

#1 Post by bill_gk » Wed May 12, 2021 10:02 am

Hi

I am an interested person, who has decided to try and become a bit more serious about this as a hobby.

I have recently bought two microscopes;

I've mostly had whate are "toy" microscopes no condensors etc. I was recently able to buy two microscopes;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm probably going to focus on looking for micrometeorites, as that feeds in to my interest in Astronomy, I've also recently joined Quekett, and am hoping to become involved in some projects, acknowleding that I really am a beeginner at this.

I have a question; The AmScope B1120B-E has a x100 oil objective. In a video I recently watched. Microbehunter recommended swapping out the x100 oil for a x60 objective - sounds like a good idea, except;

In another video I watched where microbehunter answered some beginner questions he recommended NOT doing this becasue introducing an objective (from a different batch / different manufacturer?) would introduce an annoying focussing issue.

Is it practical to consider swapping out the x100 oil for the x60 (non-oil?

apochronaut

Re: Newbie and a question

#2 Post by apochronaut » Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Since you are interested in micrometeorites, the oil immersion objective might not be of that much use. Even a 60X is considerably more than you need. I assume though, that you will have other interests, that would benefit from a transmitted light microscope. For micrometeorites you need an incident illuminated microscope.

One conversion of that microscope you could consider is swapping out the two high magnification objectives for a couple of cheap longer working distance met objectives. They are used without coverslips, so you can extend your stereo microscope capability to higher magnifications. You won't get the same stereo image but with a couple of inexpensive led 1 to 3 watt gooseneck lamps beaming down on the stage, you will have converted your microscope to an inexpensive metallurgical microscope. Perfect for micrometeorites and you still have the higher magnification cover slip corrected objectives for biological use, if you put them back in.

You should be able to add those conversions for between 100 and 150.00.

bill_gk

Re: Newbie and a question

#3 Post by bill_gk » Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 am

Thank you for that. I'll definitely look in to it.