Hello fellow microscopists!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Ben

Hello fellow microscopists!

#1 Post by Ben » Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm

Hello and thank you for this lovely forum. How nice to find a group of like-minded individuals!

I am currently a graduate student in microbiology, however... I am an amateur microscopist! I was just gifted an omax M82ES by a friend of mine. After much cleaning, I am starting to get some decent images.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and passion. It has been a lot of fun to read everyone's journey toward purchasing a microscope :)

PeteM

Re: Hello fellow microscopists!

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun May 16, 2021 2:27 am

Welcome, Ben.

If they do a remake of the Dustin Hoffman movie, The Graduate, pretty sure the one-word vocational advice given will be more like "microbiology" than "plastics." Where are you going to school? A friend used to head up microbiology at UCSC and still does some research there.

Ben

#3 Post by Ben » Sun May 16, 2021 3:28 am

I am a Master's student at SJSU currently. I am preparing to apply to several Ph.D. programs for Fall 2022 so... who knows where I'll be in a year (if I am lucky enough)!

What is your friend researching at UCSC?

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sun May 16, 2021 4:01 am

His interest is fungi.