Lurker checking in

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
jlinscheid

Lurker checking in

#1 Post by jlinscheid » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 am

I’ve been lurking a bit, and since it’s time to ask a few questions in the appropriate forums, I thought I’d come in from the shadows and introduce myself.

I became interested in microscopes at a very early age. In the 3rd grade (1973 for me) I was kind of a problem child, being very disruptive in class to the point my mom had to make several visits. My teacher decided the answer was to let me study older kid’s science books on my own. She gave me a lot of books, but the one that really inspired me was “Hunting with the Microscope”. My mom found a microscope at a garage sale, and I was a happy kid. That satisfied me until I got a telescope, and the old microscope, never great to begin with was lost with time.

Over the years I kept that old book, and would happen upon it once and a while and remember how fun the old microscope was, but never considered that a serious one to replace it might be within reach.

Then a few months ago I happened upon an amazing YouTube channel called Journey to the Microcosmos, which brought it all back. One of the videos talked about a microscope they wanted to sell, and it wasn’t thousands of dollars, and that got me looking.
So now I find myself with a AmScope t490b, and I’m that happy little kid all over again.

I live in Oregon, USA, a few miles south of Portland. My dog and I are super fortunate, having a nature park across the street with a mossy forest, marshes, and a creek with beaver ponds. That should keep me busy for a while.