Hello from Alberta

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
EVILsteve

Hello from Alberta

#1 Post by EVILsteve » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:04 pm

I'm an all round hobbyist into everything from drones, motorcycles, 3d printing and photography. I fell into astrophotography during the pandemic lockdowns with a 3d printed Astro tracker. Somehow my late night youtubing led me to "journey to the microcosmos" and I was instantly interested.
Sometime after I acquired a Nikon alphaphot and now I'm hooked.

dtsh

Re: Hello from Alberta

#2 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 pm

EVILsteve wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:04 pm
I'm an all round hobbyist into everything from drones, motorcycles, 3d printing and photography. I fell into astrophotography during the pandemic lockdowns with a 3d printed Astro tracker. Somehow my late night youtubing led me to "journey to the microcosmos" and I was instantly interested.
Sometime after I acquired a Nikon alphaphot and now I'm hooked.
Hello!

I think you'll find a lot of common ground, more than a few of us also into astro, either today or in the past. I know some folks who can't move their astro gear anymore so have turned inward and smaller; plus there's no need for the weather to cooperate.
I and a host of others are also active with 3D printing, it speeds protoyping so much more and enables the creation of adapters and such which would take a lot more effort otherwise. How did the tracker work for you?

I look forward to seeing the Nikon Alphaphot as you progress, it was on the short list of scopes I was considering.

EVILsteve

#3 Post by EVILsteve » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
My tracker is the open Astro tracker and it's really not a bad unit at all. I'm shooting with a Sony A6500 and an old tamron 350mm telephoto on a canon adapter but I've used larger without issues. It table mounted so alignment is not as straight forward as most purchased units since there's no way to view through an alignment scope. I've been working on an updated design cut on my cnc router from Carbon fiver plates that can be tripod mounted. But as is I have zero complaints.
I suspected this wasn't a big leap going from Astrophotography to micro. The desktop nature of it and the fact that every time I sneeze is a photo op is definitely appealing.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:03 pm

hello and welcome to forum, evil steve. I sincerely ( there's sin in it somehow!) hope with your motorcycle jaunts you do'nt take after US evil-kenievel adventures.

Down here in finger lakes/US I have all sorts of Nikon occulars and objective optics , 160mm tube length Nikon optics. which I can sell extremely low cost if you intend to trick out you Nikon Alaphot.

Welcome to a great forum steve, charlie guevara