Greetings from the Old Pueblo (Tucson, AZ USA)

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Thomas Watson

Greetings from the Old Pueblo (Tucson, AZ USA)

#1 Post by Thomas Watson » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:36 pm

I'm an amateur astronomer, naturalist, and writer living in the Sonoran Desert. Having retired from the day job to write more or less full time, I needed something new to keep me from getting any work done. (Procrastination being part of the writer's job description.) Already have a garden, binoculars (bird watching), and a couple of telescopes. Microscopy was the obvious next choice. Now I can study the nearby and tiny as well as the gigantic and far away.

While I'm not entirely without experience with matters microscopic (I use a stereo microscope to identify plants), the last time I used a compound microscope was as a student, while working on a degree in plant biology. That was a quarter of a century ago, so for all practical purposes, I’m a beginner.

I recently purchased a Swift SW380T and have only just begun to learn how to use it. I have a Canon Eos Rebel t6 DSLR on hand, and an adapter on the way, but intend to work with the microscope for a while before taking on imaging. Treating basic microscope use and imaging as separate learning curves, in other words. It just feels like good sense, approaching things that way. ;)