Old Man with a Lifelong Passion

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
icancanu01

Old Man with a Lifelong Passion

#1 Post by icancanu01 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:57 am

I've been using a microscope for about 65 years on and off. Most of that time aquatic organisms were my thing. I've also been a photographer for quite a few decades, in recent years pursuing nature macrophotography with Canon cameras. Currently shoot an EOS 5D MkII, but I also have an EOS 10D. I own a bunch of lenses and lighting gear, but that's off-topic.

I use a cheapo Chinese stereo 20/40x with slight alignment problems. I like stereo very very much for studying insects, botanical structures, even mineralogical sand analysis.

I have a Chinese binocular 4x/10x/40x/100x(oil) and a number of interesting intermediate lenses. With a brightfield and darkfield condenser and a homebrew LED 5000K lightsource and a number of microscope cameras, this has given me reasonably good service. Resolution and lack of phase contrast are two problem areas.

I recently purchased a Zeiss Primostar 3 phase contrast scope with a trinocular head and an an adapter for my EOS 5D. With a remote release, I have become a demon. This is a microscope. Everything else I've tried has only come close.

Currently learning staining protocols, various agar plate media formulations, and mounting techniques (though I tend not to save specimens).

I consider myself involved with nature on a philosophical and aesthetic level, not particularly a scientific one.

Thank you, Oliver, for your obvious enthusiasm, and thank you hugely for the effort you have put into this project.

75RR

Re: Old Man with a Lifelong Passion

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 am

Welcome icancanu01

I believe you are the second member with a Zeiss Primostar 3 ..., linuxusr is the other. Always good to be able to compare notes.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)