(No subject)Help an old newbie

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
peterpa

(No subject)Help an old newbie

#1 Post by peterpa » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Hi, I loved tinkering with my "toy" microscope as a kid 70 years ago, and renewed the interest in my twenties with an instrument that was barely more than a toy. Now I'm retired (very) and realize I could actually get myself a microscope that is not a toy. I think I want a compound "scope for magnification - I'm interested in the micro world after all - and the higher magnifications sound seductive although I've no idea how expensive it might be to get quality images. I'm thinking that $1000 to $1500 would be a reasonable target price, but again I've no justification for that figure and could go higher. So I'm looking for guidance. I would like to think I could get something that is supported by the manufacturer so I could add facilities as I learn.
Can't ask more questions until I start to learn. Oh, one is what are the quality brands available? I would welcome all advice. Thank you.

PeteM

Re: (No subject)Help an old newbie

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:53 pm

I can send you a guide to various scopes once you have enough posts to send a PM.

$1-1.5K sounds like way too much to spend for a starter microscope. Your interests should dictate what features and quality you might want, but there are very good $300 or so used microscopes out there -- and some pretty decent if not quite as good new ones as well. After you know more of what direction you want to take, you could sell the $300 microscope for about what you paid for it (if a good used one) and then later get some uber-quality scope that best satisfies your interests.

Few people would regret starting with a stereo microscope of mid-range quality. It's sort of like having binoculars before a telescope - you can just grab a specimen and discover what's around you without elaborate preparations. A stereo and a compound microscope can complement each other. If there are grandkids etc. in your life, you could also have a ball exploring things together.

DrPhoxinus

#3 Post by DrPhoxinus » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 pm

I have bought several AO, Unico and Leitz microscopes
from shopgood will

e.g. https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/131483880

sometimes they need some work

Gerard

BramHuntingNematodes

#4 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Second the stereo even if you want to look at smaller things you still use a stereo to sort your samples, inspect lenses, do dissection etc
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

peterpa

#5 Post by peterpa » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:55 pm

Thank you. That makes sense. Anywhere in particular I should look for a used instrument? I thought new so that facilities could be added, but I've no idea what facilities, and now I want a stereo as well! What makes do you recommend? Basically, what is my first step?

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Where are you located? That makes a difference in where to look.

It turns out that it is often easier to get upgrades with used pro instruments than with new scopes built for the mass market. Often the new scopes don't even have some of the imaging modalities or higher quality optics available. In cases where they do have add-ons like phase contrast, epi illumination, polarization, plan fluor or apo objectives, and DIC, they may be surprisingly expensive.

The question of "which microscope?" has been asked many times here. You might search for past topics to begin to get an idea of what questions to ask.

peterpa

#7 Post by peterpa » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:03 pm

I'm in PA, my town is rural with a population of 5000 plus a small university of about 5000. My nearest city is Harrisburg, about 90 minutes away. One of the reasons I am thinking to spend a significant amount is to get upgrade capability and quality optics. I don't want a mass market product. Is there a supplier you would recommend consulting.

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:27 pm

If your local university has a biology department, you might try talking to whoever looks after their scopes. Maybe every decade or two schools will upgrade and you might luck out and find a good but surplus scope.

Ebay can be a good source, as well as several reliable folks here who have extra scopes to sell. I'd suggest you check past listings to get an idea of what stereo microscope you want to start with, keep reading, and take your time getting a superb older pro compound microscope. If you just can't wait, I'd suggest buying something new through Amazon and shipped by Amazon. At least you can return it if unhappy. Be warned, however, that even a $1500 new Chinese scope often won't have some upgrades available.

peterpa

#9 Post by peterpa » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:41 pm

Thanks, PeteM.

deBult

#10 Post by deBult » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:19 pm

You have a private message.