Hi there

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Old Clonky

Hi there

#1 Post by Old Clonky » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:53 pm

I have just joined the forum, my aim is to learn, get some new ideas as projects, and join in as I gain experience.
I have a vickers m14/2 , I have converted the lighting to rechargeable led, for ease of use, ( a simple tubular bicycle torch).
I am in the process of working out mounting a camera.
Thank you for reading this,I shall have a good look around the forum to become familiar with its layout.

An exciting new world opening up for me.

Dubious

Re: Hi there

#2 Post by Dubious » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard! Kudos on your led conversion. I am planning to do that myself one of these days on my main microscope to get a bit more light. However, one thing to be aware of with your setup is that if you experience eye fatigue or headaches when using your led lamp at less than maximum intensity, it is likely caused by PWM. I believe most led bike lamps use PWM (pulse width modulation) to adjust light levels and, depending on the PWM frequency, it can cause problems for susceptible individuals.

microcosmos

#3 Post by microcosmos » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:54 am

Welcome! I read with interest Dubious' comments about PWM - so that's how the bicycle light adjusts intensity! Perhaps one could use a couple of neutral density filters in this case to adjust brightness, while keeping the LED permanently at full power? I do this for my tungsten halogen lamp, as it has to be kept at full power for other reasons (to prevent deterioration of the filament).

Old Clonky

#4 Post by Old Clonky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:08 am

Thank you for the welcome, and advice on my lighting setup, I use the bicycle light on high setting, and have a cardboard tube that slides into the existing lamp housing, that way I can adjust the light intensity by sliding the light in or out on the cardboard tube, it is a work in progress system, I intend to turn an aluminium tube on my lathe once I have settled on a design, possibly incorporating a difusing screen.
I do have the old light source to hand, but want to eliminate mains electricity from the equation, this heath Robinson setup does achieve that, and removes the heat from under the specimen slide.
I took a chance buying the old vickers m14/2, but it seems to be a very well made instrument in good condition.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:13 am

Welcome … and congratulations on your choice of the M14/2

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Old Clonky

#6 Post by Old Clonky » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 am

Thank you Michael, it does seem to be a fine microscope, it is very heavy, and the optics seem to be very clear and bright, and sharp edge to edge.
I should imagine they were well engineered microscopes in their day.

Javier

#7 Post by Javier » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:00 am

Welcome!

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Old Clonky wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 am
I should imagine they were well engineered microscopes in their day.

You might enjoy browsing through this collection of photos : https://dlib.york.ac.uk/yodl/app/collec ... ref=detail
Too many 'projects'

Old Clonky

#9 Post by Old Clonky » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:21 am

Thank you, and I shall look in the link.