Friendly greetings !

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
ker2x

Friendly greetings !

#1 Post by ker2x » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:35 pm

Friendly greetings !

I'm a 43yo French IT engineer.
I own a cheap stereo microscope (paralux),
a cheap eyepiece camera (BRESSER MikrOkular Full HD)

and a mighty NACHET NS400 compound microscope with polarization thingy (I temporarily forgot the English name, but there is 2 polarization filter and the bottom one is rotating).
This poor microscope have been abused by the previous owner but isn't hopelessly broken. I got it for dirt cheap.

I didn't used it very much, and didn't really do much microscopy because of its poor state, but after a few year of NOT collecting dust I want to fully use it.
I come for help with servicing, it doesn't need much but what's need really is needed.

Hobbyst46

Re: Friendly greetings !

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:43 pm

12V 100W halogen is not in general too bright for microscopy. Rather, it is ubiquitous. For brightfield, perhaps, with the 10X objective it is. For darkfield and other enhanced contrast modalities, it might be fine. A lab power supply with controllable voltage/amperage will serve just fine.

The chief problem from what you mentioned is the broken head. Without working head, all the rest is trash.

Blow/brush dust away with a soft-hair brush (ladies makeup removal brushes are appropriate). The adhesive on the top of the stand can probably removed with solvents. Work in an aerated space, and use cotton swabs wetted with octane, white benzine, isopropanol, but take extra care to avoid dripping solvent into the microscope. Do not use acetone unless all other liquids do not help.

ker2x

Re: Friendly greetings !

#3 Post by ker2x » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:16 pm

Thank you for the welcome.
The head isn't broken, just the 3rd output for the camera.
I create 2 thread, one with the general presentation of the NS400 in "my microscope" and another thread for the full servicing, with detailed info.