Hello from Hungary, and a Leitz camera question

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Cavalier

Hello from Hungary, and a Leitz camera question

#1 Post by Cavalier » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:17 am

Hi micro people!

I'm pretty new in microscopy, literally, i don't even have my microscope yet. I've got a used Leitz Laborlux K from Ebay, a Wundertüte, as Oliver would say according to one of his videos. I hope it will be fine though, it's equipped with EF Phaco lenses, the light doesn't work, but i already ordered some spares. If it's not the bulb, i can fix it too.
I live in a village, there is a small river, a fishing lake, and different kind of animals, dogs, horses, birds, pigs, so i have ideas for samples. :D

And now the question, i want to use Nikon DSLR full frame cameras on the trinocular head. I've figured out that i need an adapter, in the attached image, the one on the right. (i found one with the optics for 300 eur, i'm not that desperate to buy it :) )

Which okular should i use in it, can you show me some? Probably the middle one here, Periplan GF 10X?
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/img ... 1b5a10.jpg

What else do i need to do for a Nikon F-mount? I've been searching for some days but just getting more and more confused. :(

Thanks!
Attachments
leitz.jpg
leitz.jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
leitz adapter variable eyepiece 543431.jpg
leitz adapter variable eyepiece 543431.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

Alexander

Re: Hello from Hungary, and a Leitz camera question

#2 Post by Alexander » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:08 am

Both adapter shown may give proper results.

The one with optics is a very complete solution for a full-frame camera. All you need in addition is the camera and a adapter-ring for its mount. But: Make sure, this thing is designed for 160 mm tube length. Most probably it is not.

The one without optics is quite sub-optimal.
First, it is made for 30 mm eye-pieces. You are better off looking for a similar one made for 23,2 mm eye-pieces.
Second, you need an eye-piece with high eye-point, a pancake-lens of about 40 mm (APSC) or 60 mm (full-frame) and a mechanical adapter to fit the camera lens as close to the eye-piece as possible. The last one will give you the most headache.

patta

#3 Post by patta » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Welcome!
One way - not sure if truly optimal, but cheap - is the simple afocal: to use one of the two visual oculars, then look into it with the Nikon, with a Nikon 50mm (or 60) objective.
Still need some tube and screw adapters; one to hold the eyepiece in the photo port; the other to fit the 50mm objective with its filter thread.

I'm going soon to design and 3D print such adapters for an older leitz, SM-lux.
What are the diameter and the tube position of the Laborlux-K photo port?

Cavalier

#4 Post by Cavalier » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:30 am

Thank you for the answers! I found the way then i think, also a forum in german: https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... ic=25092.0
I ordered an adapter without optics, and will find an eyepiece for it. Instead of the big tube shown in the linked topic i'll make some contraption to adapt to the Nikon lens filter thread. But only when i'll have the microscope, it's still on the way. :)