Hello from the Netherlands

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
marcel_

Hello from the Netherlands

#1 Post by marcel_ » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:36 am

Hi,
Nice to know there is such a good forum, full of very nice people and posts! I would really like to get to know other people that are interested in sharing knowledge about this great hobby.

I just bought a AmScope t490b and for my kids I have a Bresser Biolux AL / NV. My kids still need to be convinced that a Nintendo Switch is not everything there is in life. :|

I have a background in Biology, but only picked up microscopy again after many years. Unsurprisingly I am mainly interested in seeing living things under the microscope. And my first first experiments already showed me how fascinating this world is. I bought a German book called "Das Leben in Wassertropfen", which made me realise that my knowledge of German is more limited than I thought. Nevertheless this book seems very useful for identifying species.

I hope to share my experience here as well.

Cheers
Marcel

Hobbyst46

Re: Hello from the Netherlands

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:44 am

marcel_ wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:36 am
My kids still need to be convinced that a Nintendo Switch is not everything there is in life. :|
This is the most severe educational challenge of mankind throughout the last few decades (taking Nintendo as generic).
Welcome !

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm

Hi Marcel,
welcome to the forum!
Nice to hear that you are shanghaiing your kids for your journey into the microcosmos. It may not be obvious but often an interest is introduced that fruits later.
Do you already have a plancton net or -sieve to get concentrated samples? The "Wassertropfen" really is a handy book for fresh water use.

Bob

marcel_

#4 Post by marcel_ » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:20 pm

Yes Bob. That is what I hope for. Plant a seed.
Children nowadays are very much drawn towards gaming and youtube. I do not think it is bad, although it can be very dominant in family life.

I haven't all my gear yet. I am still in awe with a piece of mos that I took from my balcony, that is teeming with life and the stuff that comes from the fridge.
I am trying out self made darkfield filters now, and that really is very interesting.

dtsh

#5 Post by dtsh » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:29 pm

marcel_ wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:20 pm
Yes Bob. That is what I hope for. Plant a seed.
Children nowadays are very much drawn towards gaming and youtube. I do not think it is bad, although it can be very dominant in family life.

I haven't all my gear yet. I am still in awe with a piece of mos that I took from my balcony, that is teeming with life and the stuff that comes from the fridge.
I am trying out self made darkfield filters now, and that really is very interesting.
I very much recommend taking a look at a mosquito wing. Very detailed and beautiful and unfortnately usually quite plentiful during the warm months.