Hi from the Netherlands!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
hveluwen

Hi from the Netherlands!

#1 Post by hveluwen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:39 pm

My name is Hans, 65 years old and I live near Amsterdam, the Netherlands. My interest in microscopes goes back to my childhood.
I studied biology a long time ago, and in that period I learned more about professional microscopes, how to use them.
In later years I was interested in photography, especially with Olympus OM cameras and lenses, bought lots of them (in used condition), and at a moment I decided I wanted an Olympus microscope that’s more or less from the same era as the OM System. The rest is history :)
I currently have six microscopes, five of them are Olympus. The sixth is a cheap Russian stereo microscope. The Olympus microscopes are all indeed built or usable in the OM period (1972-2000), all of them trinocular.
The oldest one is an FFE, that’s a model with a seperate light unit for Köhler illumination. It is setup for metallurgical study with all M objectives.
Then there’s an EH, with the light unit attached to the rear of the body, equipped with a full range of Plan objectives. This model was made between 1965 and 1970.
A CK, which is a reversed microscope. I also have a Phase Contrast set for it.
A BH, equipped with the 100W halogen lamp (research setup) currently setup for Phase Contrast. Microscope from the 1970’s.
Latest acquisition is the BH2, equipped with a full set of Splan objectives. This very popular model is from the 1980’s. It came equipped with a video camera adapter. When I removed it, the very rare NFK 1.67 photo eyepiece was inside!

PeteM

Re: Hi from the Netherlands!

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:22 pm

Welcome! Many of us will envy that 1.67x photo relay lens. Seems it found its way to a perfect home.

hveluwen

#3 Post by hveluwen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:43 pm

It sure has, since my main photo system currently is MFT.

hveluwen

#4 Post by hveluwen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:10 pm

Another surprise was the condenser. It wasn’t the standard Abbe, but the swing out type. One of the objectives was missing. It must have been a 2x. I put an Splan 100x in.

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:21 am

Hello and welcome. Thankyou for sharing your path to the family of of microscopes you now have. I'm enthralled with the legacy of Anton L., from your country..I,m 68 yrs of age...I collected lots of finite stands...an Olympus CK inverted stand in 'my family'.

Welcome and thank you for the specific family of stands you have as 'family'. charlie g/ fingerlakes/US

mikemarotta

#6 Post by mikemarotta » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:33 pm

hveluwen wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:39 pm
My interest in microscopes goes back to my childhood.
It came equipped with a video camera adapter. When I removed it, the very rare NFK 1.67 photo eyepiece was inside!
Many of us here also began in childhood, even if several decades lapsed between then and now.
You have an outstanding array of instruments.
Congratulations on the lucky find.

Best Regards,
Mike M.
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer