Hello from Canada

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
SuiGenerisBrewing

Hello from Canada

#1 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:59 pm

Hi everyone, quick introduction.

I'm a microbiology & immunology professor whose been doing scientific microscopy (fluorescence & super-res) for years, but recently have gotten into microscopy as a hobby. Another of my hobbies is making various fermented foods (beer, mead, cheese, etc) and I especially enjoy performing microscopy on those. I also spend a lot of time with my son looking at various things he finds around our farm under the scope - although I've had to learn (and need to learn) a lot of new techniques for viewing samples that are more than a few cells scattered across a slide. I also find myself doing a lot of fecal testing for parasites on my wifes goats...but that's another story.

Currently I'm working with an old Leitz Laborlux S that I have resuscitated after saving it from the trash bin at work. It still needs some work, but its functional and a great "toy" to tinker with!

Bryan

PeteM

Re: Hello from Canada

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:31 pm

Welcome. Sounds like you'll have much to add, Bryan.

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:14 am

Welcome to the forum, professor!

I used to to be a gut / cancer immunologist and bacteriologist (and studied Bacillus anthracis).

Depending on your budget, if it is in A) thousands or 2) hundreds, you have different options.

For A), you can try getting a DIC set, though a complete Letiz DIC set is not easy to find. Older Zeiss or PZO set may be easier to find. Or pay more and buy new.

For B), Leitz offered some high end options for phase contrast and darkfield. DIY oblique or COL (circualr oblique light) should be easy for you, if you use a turret phase condenser.

Member Apochronaut is in Canada and may have AO (American Optical) Spencer scopes and other parts to sell you. In my humble opinion, for general use, AO scope sets offer more value than Leitz. Leitz NPL Fluotar and plan apo objectives are great though, if you are willing to pay their cost.

SuiGenerisBrewing

#4 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks everyone! My scope currently has phase and darkfield, so I'm well setup there. My current issues have more to do with this being a scope rescued from the bin after three decades of heavy use in an undergrad microbiology lab. I need to open it up and clean out and oil the focus mechanisms (which, I'll admit, I'm terrified to do, but it is very hard to move right now), and a number of the other components need a good cleaning. I'm also looking to try making some of my own filters and patch stops, especially for aquatic samples (they need a blue background) and I want to try some oblique illumination as well.

Phill Brown

#5 Post by Phill Brown » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:14 pm

It's very satisfying to fix up things that have been given up on.
First surface mirrors need extra care if you haven't dealt with them before.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:23 pm

Welcome.

Focus mechanisms probably benefit from renewing the grease layer rather than oiling. Although a preliminary treatment to free up a frozen mechanism can be a few drops of light machine oil.

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:36 pm

SuiGenerisBrewing wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:42 am
Thanks everyone! My scope currently has phase and darkfield, so I'm well setup there. My current issues have more to do with this being a scope rescued from the bin after three decades of heavy use in an undergrad microbiology lab. I need to open it up and clean out and oil the focus mechanisms (which, I'll admit, I'm terrified to do, but it is very hard to move right now), and a number of the other components need a good cleaning. I'm also looking to try making some of my own filters and patch stops, especially for aquatic samples (they need a blue background) and I want to try some oblique illumination as well.
For many mechanical gears without glasses, you may be able to remove frozen grease with a few drops of mineral oil without “opening them up”.

You can add DIY polarization (with wave plates) to oblique lighting, which will provide a range of blue / purple / pink / dark background.

SuiGenerisBrewing

#8 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:43 pm

zzffnn wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:36 pm
For many mechanical gears without glasses, you may be able to remove frozen grease with a few drops of mineral oil without “opening them up”.
I'm not sure that I can access the part where its "frozen" without opening the case - the axels for the focus knobs spin on what appears to be sealed bearings, so oil can't be applied from outside (as far as I can tell - I've only just started tackeling this issue).
zzffnn wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:36 pm
You can add DIY polarization (with wave plates) to oblique lighting, which will provide a range of blue / purple / pink / dark background.
That's on the list as well, but after I figure out patch stops. Start with the easier stuff!