A misplaced obituary

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
ebenbildmicroscopy

A misplaced obituary

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:06 pm

Since there is not a "General Forum" I post this here to note the death of a giant microscope machinist/fine mechanic: I apprenticed for 4 years under Klaus Wirbelauer who was a master machinist from the German apprentice program having menteed (and trained at Karl Kapps) in post WW2 Wetzlar Germany in the shadow of the Leitz Werks. In the 1960s, Klaus immigrated here and created the microscope department at Carolina Biological Supply Company, Elon College, NC, USA. This obit listing is a "funeral home obligatory listing" for the local paper... Within the week, I would like to share some personal memories that will tell the tale of his impact on the importance of Wolfe microscopes to academics. To fellow forum members, if this would be better rec'd in another "section" on the forum, let me know in the comments.

Klaus Wirbelauer Obituary

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Klaus Wirbelauer (Burlington, North Carolina), who passed away on April 20, 2022, at the age of 80, leaving to mourn family and friends. Family and friends can send flowers and condolences in memory of the loved one. Leave a sympathy message to the family on the memorial page of Klaus Wirbelauer to pay them a last tribute.

He was predeceased by : his parents, Albert Wirbelauer and Hildegarde Wirbelauer; and his brother Horst Wirbelauer. He is survived by : his wife Debra Wirbelauer; his sons, Mark Wirbelauer (Nancy), Brandon Wirbelauer (Jennifer) and Ryan Wirbelauer (Maddie); his step-son Brad Wilson (Heather); his grandchildren, Tia Bracken, Timmy Vance, Michael Wirbelauer, Avery Wilson, Sydney Claire Wilson and Silas Grey Wirbelauer; his great grandchildren, Addy Vance and Claire Bracken; his niece Anke Wirbelauer (Michael); his great-niece Paula; and also Gisela Wirbelauer.

A celebration of life will be held on Saturday, April 23rd 2022 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM at the Lowe Funeral Home & Crematory (2205 S Church St, Burlington, NC 27215).
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

DrPhoxinus

Re: A misplaced obituary

#2 Post by DrPhoxinus » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:46 pm