Hello New member with questions.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Darksagan

Hello New member with questions.

#1 Post by Darksagan » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:26 pm

Hello I am new to the microscopy world and very interested in purchasing a microscope.
I am having a difficult time selecting a microscope mainly because I cannot find any info on lens quality for most scopes.
Is there a website that shows scopes and image examples? Ive been eye balling these used scopes on ebay: Leica ATC 2000, Olympus CH-2 and Seiler Microlux but I haven't had any luck finding examples. I would like to find something with a condenser. Any recommendations highly appreciated. Thanks

GerryR

Re: Hello New member with questions.

#2 Post by GerryR » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new here, as well, and have found many knowledgeable people willing to share their knowledge. The 'scopes you mentioned are good, but a lot depends on the objectives that are included with them. The higher the quality of the objectives, the higher the cost of the 'scope. Most beginners do well with the standard achromatic lenses, but a lot depends on the subject matter you want to pursue. I can't give you much guidance in this area, but if you tell your interests, I'm sure the more experienced people will chime in. Again, welcome.

Greg Howald

Re: Hello New member with questions.

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:16 am

You will be doing very well indeed if a manufacturer lists their true lens quality
Let's look at this another way. What do you want to look at primarily? Biology, rock and minerals, living pond life, bugs .
Tell your main interests and others will be willing to help you. There are lots of different types of microscopes at a very wide price range. There are also introductory, college level and professional scopes, and the knowledge here is vast.