A Question for Oliver

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
AntoniScott

A Question for Oliver

#1 Post by AntoniScott » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:05 pm

Hello Oliver"
I watch your Youtube videos for information and ideas. I have two questions:

1). I noticed that you use, and recommend, Euparal as a Mounting medium because specimins can be mounted directly from 100% alcohol. A few years ago I took this recommendation and purchased Euparal (from Hemstead Halid). My experience using it showed that not only did it not dry, even after six weeks, but that it drew a bubble into the slide while the drying process was taking place. The mounting medium is extremely non-viscous, unlike Permount Mounting medium. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything.

2) I notice that your trinocular Olympus (usually visible in the background when you present your videos) has the old Olympus mounting tube with what appears to be a Canon 5D or equivalent DSLR. Do you still prefer to use this method of micro-photography than the more common microscope digital camera seen all over the internet ? I don't see anyone promoting the method that you use, but your image quality standards are very high, so I am assuming there is a reason. I have noticed that some of your Microbe Hunter videos have featured different cameras but it appears you don't use them yourself.

Thank you in advance

Antoni Scott

woyjwjl

Re: A Question for Oliver

#2 Post by woyjwjl » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:49 am

AntoniScott wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:05 pm
Hello Oliver"
I watch your Youtube videos for information and ideas. I have two questions:

2) I notice that your trinocular Olympus (usually visible in the background when you present your videos) has the old Olympus mounting tube with what appears to be a Canon 5D or equivalent DSLR. Do you still prefer to use this method of micro-photography than the more common microscope digital camera seen all over the internet ? I don't see anyone promoting the method that you use, but your image quality standards are very high, so I am assuming there is a reason. I have noticed that some of your Microbe Hunter videos have featured different cameras but it appears you don't use them yourself.
I don't think Oliver will have time to answer your question.

Simply put, using a digital mirrorless camera is the closest thing to professional microscope results (dynamic range, resolution...) The most economical (under $500) method .....
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange