Greetings from David Finell

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Finelld

Greetings from David Finell

#1 Post by Finelld » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:02 am

Ham Shack ss.jpg
Ham Shack ss.jpg (223.38 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Greetings All,

My name is David Finell. I am originally from Phoenix, AZ USA but currently live in San Antonio, TX USA. I have lived all over the world with my service in the Air Force. I have degrees in electronics and Fine Art with a concentration in Photography. I got into microscopy fro doing fine art photography. For microscopy I currently use a Nikon Microphot-FX. I have only had the microscope for about a week and a half. It has Brightfield, Darkfield, and the condenser for Phase contrast. I will be getting the requisite objectives in the future. I also hope to add Polarizing, Florescent, and DIC eventually. My biggest problem currently is that it appears any documentation for this microscope is unobtanium. I will be posting more about this in the appropriate index.

Best Regards,

David Finell

zzffnn

Re: Greetings from David Finell

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:27 pm

Welcome to the forum, David.

I live near Houston and have been enjoying microscopy and photography for years. We can meet up if you pass by.

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:28 am

Welcome David !
I web searched the microscope and it is pricier than mine and I would assume if you went to the Nikon website and explained that you purchased this microscope from somewhere and could they send you an Instruction manual PDF or whatever of how to use it, etc...
Maybe add to the email that in the future you might also be looking to buy more objectives for it. That might also help them expedite aide you.
-Dennis

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:02 am

David, the Microphot FX, FXA etc. scopes are fairly similar - and there is documentation available on some of these models. Assuming you don't want to use a 35mm film camera, the operation of the scope is much like a better-documented Nikon Optiphot in terms of setting up Kohler illumination, the range of condensers available, the dozens of available objectives, DIC, etc.

Your head will have a slot for an analyzer and even without finding an OEM one, it's just a flat bit of plastic with a stepped hole containing a linear polarizer. Easy to cobble up either 3D printed or machined. Put another linear polarizer on the field iris and you'll have your polarization update.

I ended up stripping out the 35mm exposure controls on an FXA, but kept a motor to choose the camera port (not needed, I think, in the FX), and replaced the power supply. That last bit should be a piece of cake for you, judging by the background in your photo. Mine ended up like this: viewtopic.php?t=15299

It's a wonderful scope and especially well suited to imaging with a full frame Nikon mirrorless or DSLR camera.