Hello from New York City

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
khunkao

Hello from New York City

#1 Post by khunkao » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Hello everyone, I am hailing from NYC. I have always had a love of science since I was little. Our family was poor and so I didn't have a lot of resources at home for experimentation. I built my own chemistry set out out of bottles and household chemicals and other items. I made my own weather station out of empty milk cartons. Even ventured into high-voltage and electrostatics. But my bread and butter was always within microbiology. You can imagine my utmost surprise when my parents gathered enough money to purchase the toy microscope that I had been pointing at in the store window for years. Everything opened up from there. Granted the optics were very cheap and of poor quality, it was still just amazing to see a entire world of life in a drop of water from my aquarium or my flower vase. That passion has helped me through many courses and top grades in school but my focus veered into computer programming somewhere along midway. I found myself cleaning out old things from the house a few months ago and came upon the very toy microscope that ignited my passion for all things tiny. This led to rekindled interest and I just recently bought a Swift 380T, my first real microscope, in hopes of remembering and relearning what I once was so fond of. One goal I now have is to make an attempt to find as many of these elusive animacules as possible. On with the hunt!

Javier

Re: Hello from New York City

#2 Post by Javier » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm

Welcome!

Crusty

#3 Post by Crusty » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:01 am

Some of us are trying to revitalize the New York Microscopical Society. It would be wonderful to have someone with your energy. Sadly, we do not have a web page, but we do have a facebook page.

Dennis

#4 Post by Dennis » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 am

Welcome to the forum!
-Dennis