hello!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
cicada-sunspot

hello!

#1 Post by cicada-sunspot » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:22 am

Hi! I'm an undergraduate studying conservation biology and entomology, and my professor recently gave me an AO Cycloptic stereo microscope that's been sitting in his office without eyepieces or a stage for years. He said that if I could find eyepieces for less than the cost of a new scope or what the scope itself is worth, I was free to take it. Well, I found eyepieces on eBay (haven't bought them yet, though), and I'm working on 3D printing a stage, and so I am the proud owner of a soon-to-be-functional stereo microscope! (Note: if anyone has tips or help on making that file, I would be eternally grateful. I have never done anything with 3D printing, but my campus has a space that students can use for free, so I'm planning on using it rather than trying to hunt down an OEM stage.)

I found this site while I was looking for information on the scope itself, because he didn't know what it was and the only clues on the equipment were a logo of "AO Spencer" and a number (part 56-C 103). I joined the site because I really don't know anything about microscopes beyond the basics of how to use one, and they seem like fascinating beasts!

I'm excited to be here and am grateful to Oliver for maintaining this, it seems to me to be a fantastic place and resource.

Scarodactyl

Re: hello!

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:51 am

The cycloptic is a nice scope, the first commercially successful stereo and still solid today.
Stage could mean a few parts on a stereo. If you'd post a picture of what you need to model it would help.

cicada-sunspot

#3 Post by cicada-sunspot » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:58 pm

(edit) I'm having trouble getting the image to load into here. I've got the flickr URL and am surrounding it with the Image tags, but it doesn't seem to be working
The circular piece that the specimen would go on, underneath the um... thing that looks at it, is missing. (Can you tell I'm not familiar with microscope parts? :) ) I did my best to measure the diameter and depth of the space for it, but if anyone knows the actual specifications, that would be very helpful.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:22 pm

If you just need a round stage plate here are lots of third party options in a variety of diameters and materials (white/black/clear plastic or glass). If they're a little small you can easily wedge paper or plastic in to get it firm.