Re introduction

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
ian1357

Re introduction

#1 Post by ian1357 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:33 pm

About five years ago I joined this group. I was at the time just about to take my American wife back to the land of my birth, Featherstone, West Yorkshire. I asked for advice on a beginners scope. Which I hoped to purchase on my return. I returned to news of an imminent hurricane.
I by now had completely lost or forgotten my desire for a microscope, probably did not want one bad enough.
Back to today, the bug has bitten. However as my wife correctly points, I have squandered money on hobbies I have never pursued beyond the starting phase.
I am now looking at the Swift SW150 as a start. Has anyone got or had one of these, and could give me some advice.
I understand these are probably just a up from a "toy" microscope. They currently retail on Amazon for $71.99. If I add another $100 ( my self imposed limit ATM ) to the pot can I get a better one?

Phill Brown

Re: Re introduction

#2 Post by Phill Brown » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:28 pm

Welcome back, there are 2 sides to microscopy as a hobby.
Subjects that you are interested in seeing and the toys we choose to look at them with.
Bright field light microscopes are only a starting point, with a condenser there is potential, without it's very limited.
New becomes used after unboxing and will require lens cleaning as will a pre owned that is likely to be much better value, also should be at it's resale value when it gets put to one side to make room for the next one.
If it looks uncared for leave it to someone who likes a project.

lorez2

#3 Post by lorez2 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:01 pm

An older used microscope will be a much better deal in every regard. Not only will you miss out on the plastic parts, you may get more options at a reasonable price. If you are interested you can send me a note. I have quite a few ( many ) good scopes, but no junk. I do have a few toys, but they are not available.

lorez
Nikon 80i

ian1357

#4 Post by ian1357 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:13 pm

lorez2 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:01 pm
An older used microscope will be a much better deal in every regard. Not only will you miss out on the plastic parts, you may get more options at a reasonable price. If you are interested you can send me a note. I have quite a few ( many ) good scopes, but no junk. I do have a few toys, but they are not available.

lorez
Hi sent you a PM.

DeniseStribling

#5 Post by DeniseStribling » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Idk what to say, I bet a new instrument is (practically) always better, but you see.

GerryR

#6 Post by GerryR » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:42 pm

I have a Swift SW200 for sale on Ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/155161511507) along with the Swift Slide Preparation Kit for a very reasonable price. I marked it down for Christmas hoping someone would buy it for a student or someone just getting started. It is very basic, but nice, as it is new. It doesn't compare to a good used quality 'scope, but if your looking to get started, you can't beat the price. PM me if interested (I can take it off Ebay and deal directly with you.)