New on forum, late in life.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
rcmjonesmicro

New on forum, late in life.

#1 Post by rcmjonesmicro » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello to everyone. I was led to the forum by the online videos of Oliver Kim. I began microscopy as a young child in the 60's, mostly with toy microscopes and prepared slides. Though the equipment was lacking, my interests wasn't. I read lots of science and microscopy related books (no computers or internet at that time). Then the workaday world came along but the interest always remained. Around 1985, I purchased a fairly mint condition 60's era Bristoline 3002 binocular scope with original locking wooden case, which I still have and use at times. More recently I bought a refurbished Nikon Alphaphot-2 YS2-T which I am currently using. The Bristoline scope, though dated, is built like a tank, NO plastic or nylon to be seen, but the newer scopes interest me because of added capabilities and ergonomics. I'm daydreaming of perhaps a Nikon Eclipse model in the future, depending on advice I learn here. My studies are purely for fun and relaxation and to satisfy my interests in nature. I am here on the forum to learn and perhaps to share if I have something of interest to others.

Dennis

Re: New on forum, late in life.

#2 Post by Dennis » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 pm

rcmjonesmicro,

Welcome to the forum !

lorez2

#3 Post by lorez2 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:47 am

Welcome to the group,

You have a couple of nice scopes to work with and honorable aspirations for the future.

I would also include the Nikon Labophots, Olympus CH, CH2, BH and BH2 models as well as the Olympus BX and Nikon Eclipse series. I've had the good fortune to work with all of these scopes over the years and they are all quality instruments.

Money is your only obstacle.

lorez
Nikon 80i

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:59 am

Hi, rcmjone..,welcome to a great forum of sharing microscopists. My work horse stand is a clinical Nikon Labophot-pol...I have so many Nikon Plan objectives I can sell you extremely low cost.

Let us in forum posts know the current collection of objectives you have on your Nikon alophot...and what sort of substage condenser your Nikon alophot currently has.

Any specific type of microscopy you wish to enjoy? I fancy live wet-mount slides of pondlife, wetland protists and the often larger meiofauna..1X plan objective, up to 100X dry Nikon objective..and when committed to wonderful wet mount slide...Pan apo oil objectives ( 40X-60X-100X oil objectives).

All the best, PM if you have questions..always float in forum, my suggestions for enhancing your alophot ( Nikon CF finite occulars and objectives I wish to sell extremely low cost).

Healthy New Year to all, charlie guevara/ finger lakes,NY

rcmjonesmicro

#5 Post by rcmjonesmicro » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:11 am

charlie g wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:59 am
Hi, rcmjone..,welcome to a great forum of sharing microscopists. My work horse stand is a clinical Nikon Labophot-pol...I have so many Nikon Plan objectives I can sell you extremely low cost.

Let us in forum posts know the current collection of objectives you have on your Nikon alophot...and what sort of substage condenser your Nikon alophot currently has.

Any specific type of microscopy you wish to enjoy? I fancy live wet-mount slides of pondlife, wetland protists and the often larger meiofauna..1X plan objective, up to 100X dry Nikon objective..and when committed to wonderful wet mount slide...Pan apo oil objectives ( 40X-60X-100X oil objectives).

All the best, PM if you have questions..always float in forum, my suggestions for enhancing your alophot ( Nikon CF finite occulars and objectives I wish to sell extremely low cost).

Healthy New Year to all, charlie guevara/ finger lakes,NY
Sorry to admit but I just read your comments from JANUARY! The workaday world gets in the way of my microscopy. Since January I've purchased an American Optical Series 20 which has infinite optics. I also have both the low-x and high-x darkfield condensers and the phase contrast condenser with dark phase objectives. I converted the halogen lighting to a 6W LED which is very satisfactory. It's astounding the options available for vintage (60's thru 80's) American Optical scopes and at very reasonable prices. The same options for Olympus or Nikon would cost at least 10x more, if available. I still love the Nikon Alphaphot and may upgrade the optics on it in due time. I really appreciate your offer of objectives and will likely be in contact, as time and expenses permit. Again, so sorry for this late reply and I'll try to stay in touch. Later friend...