Hello from Austria (Vienna/Lower Austria)

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
shutterbug

Hello from Austria (Vienna/Lower Austria)

#1 Post by shutterbug » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:18 pm

Hello!

I'm a photographer and I've always had a huge affinity for nature and microscopy - and now I'm trying to enter the world of "extreme-macro" and micro-photography.

I'm mostly working with comparatively low magnifications up to 5x but I occasionally get into 10x as well - though I only have a very old achromat lens for that and the image quality isn't as good.

As of right now I'm trying to get into creating my own permanent mounts of small insects, spiders and water organisms to shoot alongside some bigger insects and spiders - and I'm also working on images of crystals like citric acid or salt with cross-polarisation.
The biggest challenge for me lies in the proper collection, storage and preparation of the specimen as well as the right way of handling the mounting media, but I'm confident I'll get there some day!

Because I'm just a beginner I'm using cheap material like thinned PVC glue as mounting media and a very, very old Reichert brass microscope with a 10x and 40x lens and I'm thinking about upgrading to something like a Swift Stellar someday soon - but first I want to improve my mounting methods so I can get proper slides to look at an photograph.

Javier

Re: Hello from Austria (Vienna/Lower Austria)

#2 Post by Javier » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:25 pm

Welcome!

shutterbug

Re: Hello from Austria (Vienna/Lower Austria)

#3 Post by shutterbug » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:41 pm

Thank you, Javier! :)