Hello From Louisiana

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
microexplorer

Hello From Louisiana

#1 Post by microexplorer » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:12 am

I'm Nick from south Louisiana. I've had an interest in microscopy for a very long time. I got my first microscope as a kid. It's what would be referred to as a toy as it was bought at a toy store (Toys R Us). It was a red AmScope that was powered by AA batteries. One side was the light and on tother side a mirror.

I've been watching Microbehunter's YouTube channel for a couple months. It's my goal to save up and buy a decent starter microscope. I looked at the ones on Microbehunter's Amazon affiliate store. I saw the Swift SW150 but was also looking at the Swift SW200DL. I figured that could be something affordable as money for me is exceedingly tight. Even something like that I'd have to save for. I also want to get a camera. The Swift 5MP USB 2.0 costs more than the microscope ($90+).

Reading through the forums I learned about AO (American Optical). I really like those as they're metal and look very sturdy/solid. The monoculars on eBay range from $30 up to a couple hundred. I did find a One-Sixty trinocular for about $200 but seems as if the slide clips or part of the stage is missing.

My eventual goal is to get a decent trinocular compound microscope and learn the different imaging techniques (e.g. darkfield. DIC, phase contrast, etc).Way down the road I'd like to get a 3D printer to make my own customizations. I'm the technical type. Knowledge in PC repair, web design/dev, and malware removal. So I love tinkering.

For now though, I just want to get my feet wet in microscopy.

Sure Squintsalot

Re: Hello From Louisiana

#2 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:09 pm

Nick....

Keep your eye out for
  • Online and local goodwill auctions
  • University and college surplus sites
  • cloudy nights website classifieds
  • Craigslist and estate sales
I don't have a lot experience with branded starter scopes but I've read of some experiences where cheap units are more frustration than they're worth. Keep in mind that the "performance-demand" curve is pretty steep once you get really into it. In other words, you'll outgrow basic bright field microscopy pretty quickly and will want to step up to dark field and phase contrast, and a basic system won't allow such add ons. You might also ask on different forums if anyone wants to sell you their stater scope; you might find one for a fraction of what they might have paid on Amazon. Check out this one:https://www.goodwillfinds.com/electroni ... ubEALw_wcB

Others here should weigh in with their opinions.

You can get a decent basic pro-level scope that might require a little cleaning if you keep your eyes on those sites above, and ask some questions here.

Good luck!