Hello from Pennsylvania

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Josephus Miller

Hello from Pennsylvania

#1 Post by Josephus Miller » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:48 pm

Hello!

I’m happy to be here, and have learned a lot already.

I come to microscopy inspired by my daughter, who is in grade school. She is a serious nature enthusiast, and loves studying living things in detail. So, I got her a microscope as a gift two Christmases ago. It’s an Amscope from the lower end of their line, but I was still amazed by how superior it is to the “toy” microscope I suffered as a child. We’ve had great fun learning how to use it together, but I got the bug too! My daughter very kindly lets me borrow her scope whenever I want, but one day I didn’t put it away just so… later came “DaaaaaAaaaaad” from upstairs: I was in trouble for not putting it away right! (Of course, I was very proud that she takes this so seriously.) This told me I needed my own scope, though. I didn’t want to upstage her with a fancier new instrument, and being a tinkerer by nature, I went the vintage route. I’ve ended up with an American Optical 160. In fact, I just got it up and running yesterday. I’m very impressed so far—it is built like a tank, and the views are dramatically better than in the Amscope. I’ve already had two very successful safaris around slides of pond water!

Anyway, thanks all for the collective wisdom that you have shared here.

Topcode

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

#2 Post by Topcode » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:57 am

Well, they don't make them like they used to, all my 4 microscopes are used, 1 each from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Much older than me, but they all work fairly well, glad to see another person making good use of old gear, that stuff lasts in a way that modern mass produced products can't. Only issue is, as you mentioned them being built like a tank, lot of them are so super heavy, especially mine from the 70s, I literally cant move it around without help. But anyways, welcome to this amazing microscopic world.

PS: is that username an expanse reference? love that show

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:01 am

Congrats, Josephus on giving your daughter a microscope. In her higher education ( should she take biology courses) , the school will supply the microscopes, and equipment and needed specimens.

If you would like to complement your microscope with a vintage 'Greenough' style stereo microscope...I can send you one from central NY/ fingerlakes NY...extremely low cost...you pay shipping.

I have plenty of very high quality 160mm trinocular microscopes, objectives , mechanical stages, objectives..slides, coverslips ( new in their foil wrappers, glass pipets, and more)..I have to clear out of my study..share with us the objectives you

now have on your microscope, post some pictures! I enjoy freshwater microscopy , wetlands microscopy.

all the best, charlie guevara

Josephus Miller

#4 Post by Josephus Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 pm

Topcode, thanks for the welcome. Yes--there's something about the older microscopes that just grabs one. (The same is true of telescopes, at least for me.) And spending pennies on the dollar for superior instruments doesn't hurt! :lol: (At least if you don't mind a little tinkering.)
Topcode wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:57 am
PS: is that username an expanse reference? love that show
Haha, yes! Good eye. Though I confess I haven't watched the show yet, only read the books.

Josephus Miller

#5 Post by Josephus Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 pm

Charlie G, thanks for your kind words and warm welcome!
charlie g wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:01 am
If you would like to complement your microscope with a vintage 'Greenough' style stereo microscope...I can send you one from central NY/ fingerlakes NY...extremely low cost...you pay shipping.

I have plenty of very high quality 160mm trinocular microscopes, objectives , mechanical stages, objectives..slides, coverslips ( new in their foil wrappers, glass pipets, and more)..I have to clear out of my study..share with us the objectives you
now have on your microscope, post some pictures! I enjoy freshwater microscopy , wetlands microscopy.

all the best, charlie guevara
You're very kind! If I had room for any more scientific instruments in my house I might take you up on that, but I think the other half would pitch a fit. ;)

I will post some pictures! Just as soon as I get my act together and take them, that is. I will post something over on the "My Microscope" board with pictures and specific questions about how I can get the most out of the scope.

I also need to post some stills taken afocally yesterday of some high drama witnessed on one of my pond water slides. I think I witnessed a microbe suicide...

einman

#6 Post by einman » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:56 pm

Welcome! What do you mean your other half might object to having more microscopes around the house? Surely you have room on the kitchen table. How many are in the family? :lol:

Josephus Miller

#7 Post by Josephus Miller » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Thanks, einman!

Hmm, yes, the kitchen table. And there’s all that kitchen counter space that goes unused like 80% of the time…

thomasfrank

#8 Post by thomasfrank » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:51 am

Many thanks! Together, we can create a vibrant space to learn, explore, and appreciate the microscopic world. slope