Hello to one & all

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
saltydawg

Hello to one & all

#1 Post by saltydawg » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:00 pm

Hi everyone, I'm from Fareham in Hampshire UK
I am new to microscopy, I've now got most of the gear, modest scope, eyepieces, tools, dye's & related bits.
Got to get used to using the kit. I'm a bit vexed after reading books on mounting mediums.
Seems to me it's hit & miss & trial & error, we will see.
So I'm here to learn & take my first stumbling steps.
Lots of info here, so off I go...!
I'm not really into any specific subjects, but insects & bugs & pond life seem interesting.

charlie g

Re: Hello to one & all

#2 Post by charlie g » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:18 pm

Welcome, saltydog. You need to (low cost, well organized book) get a hold of 2016 book: " Insect Microscopy", by Dr. Andrew Chick...nothing vexing about andy chicks instructions and materials to use.

BTW, I find it charming that you mention: 'insects and bugs'. happy spring'24, charlie g

saltydawg

Thanks

#3 Post by saltydawg » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:45 am

Thank you Charlie g have seen that one on Amazon will get a copy, thanks for the welcome 😎

sreynolds

Re: Hello to one & all

#4 Post by sreynolds » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:13 pm

I'm in my second year of sampling aquatic invertebrates from local streams and find that for my purposes, direct observation (with stereoscope) in a petri dish, or a slide wet mount on a compound microscope, is adequate without getting into the more elaborate fixing/staining/mounting protocols. Getting my subjects to stop moving so I can observe them is still a problem. I've begun using alcohol to kill them, and then mounting in glycerin - which retains most of the living organism's details, although glycerin can be messy. For wet mounts, try this, and try searching Google with the argument "glycerin" site:microbehunter.com.
Steve