Hello everyone

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
qawine

Hello everyone

#1 Post by qawine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:34 am

My name is Diana. My husband and I are vintners in Ohio and purchased a microscope to monitor yeast and help identify bacteria that could cause a fault in the wine. We bought a compound microscope that includes a Phase Contrast kit.

http://www.amscope.com/phase-contrast-t ... 1600x.html

Since this is our first microscope (well, technically I had one when I was a kid, not sure that counts), I'm happy to find this forum. You can do lots of reading and self study, but having a group of experts like this is the best. After looking through many of the threads, it's good to see all the conversation and ideas!
qawine

Amscope Phase Contrast Trinocular Microscope
Amscope MU1000 10 mp camera

75RR

Re: Hello everyone

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi qawine, welcome.

Getting a microscope with a trinocular port is always a good move, as is Phase. You are off to a good start!
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

qawine

#3 Post by qawine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi 75RR - good to know. So far, the microscope does everything I need. Just a bit of a learning curve for me right now.

I also got a camera with it. The camera images aren't what I expected, though. I'll be searching through the forum to see if it's the camera, the software or me!
qawine

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. I did that kind of thing in the 80's, At the time I was playing with using wild yeasts and innoculating the vineyard with desirable strains. I haven't been at this for a long time but I have wondered occasionally; is there evidence of wild yeasts and bacteria becoming sulphite resistant?

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Welcome, Diana.
If you have a USB eyepiece camera and image is not good, it maybe the camera. I had a $50 one before two years ago and returned it on the same day it arrived. My phone, held to eyepiece, took better photos.
Last edited by zzffnn on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qawine

#6 Post by qawine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Heading off to work, but your idea of taking a picture with my phone and comparing could mean sending the camera back! Thanks for the idea zzffn.

On the wine topic, you were truly innovative in the vineyard, apochronaut! We're just working hard to grow the grapes and make the wine. :-) I'm not sure about yeast resistance to sulfites. I know there are some bacteria that you cannot combat with them. But, I had already planned to do some tests to ensure our sulfites were doing the job by using this microscope.
qawine

zzffnn

#7 Post by zzffnn » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 pm

Member "rnabholz" Rod takes stunning photos/videos with his Nexus 6 phone adapted to microscope eyepiece. Adapters such as Orion SteadyPix Pro will work that way, I used one like that before.

JimT

#8 Post by JimT » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:55 pm

Welcome.

I too got an Amscope 3MP USB camera when I bought my scope. I never use it! Instead I use my DSLR with an Amscope DSLR attachment. Try your phone first. As Zzffnn says quite a few members use their phone and take outstanding images and videos.

You'll have to tell us where in Ohio your vineyard is. I assume near Lake Erie.

JimT

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Welcome, Diana. Your new microscope should give you excellent results, and I think the phase contrast option will be very useful. I concur with zzffnn's advice to try your cell phone camera (and I would say do not give up on it too quickly, as it, like many other things, may need some practice and "tweaking" (in method or settings).

qawine

#10 Post by qawine » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:54 pm

You are all convincing me to return the camera. I'll try my cell phone tonight!

Our vineyard/winery is in Central Ohio, northeast of Columbus. There are quite a few small wineries around here.
qawine

Crater Eddie

#11 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:01 pm

All right, I'll chime in. Hang onto the USB camera unless you are up against a time limit. They aren't great, but they aren't terrible either, and the convenience is great.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 pm

qawine wrote:You are all convincing me to return the camera. I'll try my cell phone tonight!
Depending on how long you have before you need to return it, I would give it a fair try. Something (microscope adjustment, camera adjustment) may need to be "tweaked" in order to get good results. I've seen superb images from members using a USB camera ('vasselle' comes to mind here) as well as ones using a cell phone camera (and 'rnabholz' comes to mind here). You can use the search function of the forum to find their images.

CE replied while I was writing this...

rnabholz

#13 Post by rnabholz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Welcome qawine, you are among friends.

For cell phone use, I have settled on the following products, about $25 or so, so not a huge expense. They will provide the stability you need to get good images.

A digiscoping adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012J47N4 ... ref=plSrch

Combined with a cellphone to tripod adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XAQV2S ... ref=plSrch

I started by handholding, it can work, but can be frustrating. By all means try handholding to test your phones capabilities before you spend any money. Some of today's phones have very sophisticated cameras onboard and can produce excellent results.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Rod