Greetings from Norway!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
glennbech

Greetings from Norway!

#1 Post by glennbech » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 am

Hi my name is Glenn, and I just arrived .-)

I just bought my first "advanced" microscope off a local classifieds site for 70 USD. Advanced is of course very relative, but it's my first binocular, movable condenser, adjustable iris/diaphragm, replaceable filter, oil immersion lens, fine adjustment of the stage etc.

I don't know anything about the telescope other than that it's german and is labeled Steinmar Berlin. It's got Wetzlar objectives, that assume is a sign of good quality.

The only downside is that it's not trinocular, since I might want to take photos/movies later.

I am interested in biology and have collected some muhsroom spore samples and mushroom family identification by spores earlier. I have also used very simple microscope and a webcam to capture a rotifer earlier. It was very fascinating to see what kind of life forms that can be present in a few drops of water. Other than that I am just a "science geek", curious about everything, wanting to learn more about the microscopic world.

My main scieintific curiosity is Astronomy, and i own a bunch of telescopes and astro gear :-) I guess there are more of that kind around here.

Thanks for the help so far! I got help with identification of a broblem with my new / old telescope from members here.

Here is the mandatory picture (more here https://goo.gl/photos/v7qqg8tn8vhaW4gG6)

Best regards,

Glenn

JimT

Re: Greetings from Norway!

#2 Post by JimT » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:20 pm

Welcome Glenn. This is a good place to learn.

apatientspider

#3 Post by apatientspider » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. That is a very attractive microscope - especially for only $70.

Jim

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Welcome to the forum, Glenn! Great job cleaning up that scope!

rabitt

#5 Post by rabitt » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:54 pm

Welcome, this is a great place to be if you have questions & need answers.
Always someone there to help.
Rich B

billben74

#6 Post by billben74 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Nice scope and welcome.
This is a great place to learn and to interact with other people who have a passion in microscopy.
I'm not an astronomer, but you are correct about there being quite a few who like to use their optics at opposite ends of the scale spectrum (in this forum).

You should still be able to take images with your binocular scope. Its a bit less convienient but you can use a camera by removing one of the eye piece lenses and poping in a photo adapter system.
This is fairly common practice.
I have done it with my stereo scope which is binoccular, not trinoccular.

billbillt

#7 Post by billbillt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Velkommen Glenn ! .. Det er en fantastisk mikroskop du har! ..

BillT

glennbech

#8 Post by glennbech » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:07 pm

billbillt wrote:Velkommen Glenn ! .. Det er en fantastisk mikroskop du har! ..

BillT
Tusen takk! Jeg vet absolutt ikke noe om det, så om du har noe info, eller kan kaste litt lys over typen mikroskop send meg gjerne her eller på PM. :)

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi Glenn,
I have never heard of that brand, but it looks pretty straight forward in design... It does look to be high quality German build... It is certainly worth more than you paid.. The operation would be very standard and common with other stands.. You can always take photos "afocal".. Through the ocular.. There are mount that clamp on one of the tubes that will hold a camera steady can be had on Ebay.. If I find anything else, I will PM you..

The Best!
BillT

glennbech

#10 Post by glennbech » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:30 pm

billbillt wrote:Hi Glenn,
I have never heard of that brand, but it looks pretty straight forward in design... It does look to be high quality German build... It is certainly worth more than you paid.. The operation would be very standard and common with other stands.. You can always take photos "afocal".. Through the ocular.. There are mount that clamp on one of the tubes that will hold a camera steady can be had on Ebay.. If I find anything else, I will PM you..

The Best!
BillT
Google turns out absolutely nothing informative on the brand, strange :-) I totally agree, the build quality is Awsome. And if I looked at new microscopes, this would have been out of my league.

I have ordered this one for afocal photography with my Nexus 6P ; http://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Universal-P ... ge_o00_s00

I look forward to testing it out, it should arrive some time next week.

billbillt

#11 Post by billbillt » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:17 pm

Yep, That should work fine...
BillT