Hi!

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Metrophage

Hi!

#1 Post by Metrophage » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 pm

G'day.

I'm a 31 year old software developer from Australia that has been looking for a new hobby. Microscopy is totally alien to me but the more I read the more I find to sink my teeth into. A few months ago I took my nephew to one of those kids science fairs and there was a display with seaweed under a little lens. I was transfixed by the display and haven't been able to shake that feeling of wonder I last had in a grade school science.

A few weeks of research later and I was stuck with a difficult choice between compound and stereo. Stereo was winning for the longest time because I loved the idea of being able to pick up random tit bits like dead insects and pond water. Stereo was a lot less intimidating to me but ultimately, I went with a well built compound because I felt like I would get better long term use and a lot of little weekend projects.

So I purchased this - a Carson MS 160 biological microscope which should arrive next week. I also bought a set of 100 pre-prepared slides and a bulk savers pack of blank slides and covers slips for when I graduate to onion peel and cheek swabs. Eventually I'd like to build a centrifuge and try my hand at scrubbing rocks for diatom.

Anyway, I've been lurking this forum for a week or two and the things you lot are up to is absurdly fascinating. You are a well informed and friendly crew so I figured it was about time to say hello.

lorez

Re: Hi!

#2 Post by lorez » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Welcome to the group.

I'm glad to see that you did some research before purchasing your microscope.

Did you order a model with a triocular body so you could attach a camera (conveniently) ?

You should also get yourself a simple stereo microscope (my humble opinion). They are not too expensive and really do provide that extra bit of flexibility.

lorez

Johann

#3 Post by Johann » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:05 pm

Welcome - and enjoy the new hobby :):)
Omax M837ZL
Olympus BX53
Leica MZ6
My Facebook Page
My YouTube Channel

JimT

#4 Post by JimT » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Metrophage , the Carson MS160 looks like a good scope. Welcome to the group and don't hesitate to ask questions.

hb2sbdb

#5 Post by hb2sbdb » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you will enjoy this group greatly as all of us here, and your software skill will be handy when getting into image capturing & processing aspect of the hobby. Lot of great tools are already out there, but sometimes developing your own utility is just added to the fun :)

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:21 am

Welcome!

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:16 am

Welcome and have fun with that. I'm sure it will do a lot of work for you.

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:37 am

Welcome to this fine and friendly forum! That looks like a nice 'scope to me - you're in for some fun and fascination my friend, and the superb fellows here are always ready to join you and help out!

Happy-days are on their way to you! :D :D :)
John B

Metrophage

#9 Post by Metrophage » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:22 am

Wow thanks a lot everyone.
lorez wrote:Did you order a model with a triocular body so you could attach a camera (conveniently) ?
No just a binocular. I plan on making a mount for my iPhone at some point.
lorez wrote:You should also get yourself a simple stereo microscope (my humble opinion). They are not too expensive and really do provide that extra bit of flexibility.
Good advice. I'm going to wait a while to make sure this is really for me before putting more money into it.
JimT wrote:Metrophage , the Carson MS160 looks like a good scope.
I hope so. I'll post a review of it on the `My Microscope` board when it arrives.
JimT wrote:Welcome to the group and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Thanks, I definitely will.

exmarine

#10 Post by exmarine » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:05 am

Hi and welcome to a brilliant new world of microscopy, just enjoy it all. Good luck.
Thank you :shock:
Best regards
exmarine :x

uses Watson 'Service' 1950 compound.
uses Watson Stereo 1960 ish.

rabitt

#11 Post by rabitt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:56 pm

Welcome, will be looking for your posts and photos.

billben74

#12 Post by billben74 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:12 pm

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great information and enthusiasm.
One place you might also look for information is http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html.
Its back catalogue is a gold mine of knowledge/ideas for subject to look at etc.