Biology student

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Glycolyse

Biology student

#1 Post by Glycolyse » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Enzo. I am a French Biology student interested in many fields of Biology, such as Ecology, Ecotoxicology, Virology, etc. I have always lived, and I am (still) living in South France. I always lived with the sea next to me. As you can expect, I love Marine Biology.

I discovered the forum by the Youtube Channel. Then, I read a lot of well-made articles by experts and kind members, I must say. I decided to push myself into the microscopy world from now. Actually, since I handled good microscopes at the University, it was a question of time. I am blessed to have come across the Youtube Channel.

Thanks for reading,

Glycolyse.

MicroBob

Re: Biology student

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:49 pm

Hi Enzo,
welcome to the forum!
Are you aware of the Le Naturaliste-Forum: http://www.lenaturaliste.net/forum/index.php?
Obviously this forum is better :D but for local contact and microscope buys it will for sure be a useful addition.

What I like very much about this forum ist that the members come from all aroud the world and the communication is very friendly here.
So its very nice to have another frenchman on board!

Bob (from Hamburg, Germany)

Glycolyse

#3 Post by Glycolyse » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you.

Yes, I am aware of Le Naturaliste forum ! Just as you, I like the diversity of Microbe Hunter members ! I remarked people were kind and passionate, especially with beginners. It reminds me of a famous quote from Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter : "Help is always given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it"

Glycolyse

mike

#4 Post by mike » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:12 am

Hello and welcome. Happy Diatomaceous Xmas and New Year. Do you know about the Queckett Microscope Society in the UK?
Attachments
Diatom Xmas.jpg
Diatom Xmas.jpg (47.84 KiB) Viewed 5339 times

Glycolyse

#5 Post by Glycolyse » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks Mike,

Merry Christmas, and a really funny picture you posted. I don't know about Queckett Microscopes.

Glycolyse

Red_Green

#6 Post by Red_Green » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 pm

Wait until you all graduate and then find yourself living in your vehicles because there are no jobs in the science, biology, conservation, environmental field at all.
I don't know how it is overseas but in North America, pursuing these careers and education is a death sentence and I regret it.

Science doesn't exist any more in the context it once used too.

dtsh

#7 Post by dtsh » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 pm

Red_Green wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 pm
Wait until you all graduate and then find yourself living in your vehicles because there are no jobs in the science, biology, conservation, environmental field at all.
I don't know how it is overseas but in North America, pursuing these careers and education is a death sentence and I regret it.

Science doesn't exist any more in the context it once used too.
The jobs are out there, I have friends who work in the field and I've hired people myself., both young and not so young.

Is it hard for a new person? Certainly and in just about every field that isn't basic manual labor. New people start with a base education, but frequently little experience. Education is nice, but it's that experience that really matters in a lot of circumstances. Going from a fresh start to expecience is difficult. Most jobs aren't dream jobs and sometimes we have to take something that isn't what we want until we can find something better. This isn't a new situation, it's been like this for new people for as long as I've been alive and I suspect much, much longer.

Do what you must to pay the bills, but stay active in your field even if it isn't paying the bills. It's easy to fall behind in fast moving fields so even if it's volunteer work or projects you've created for your own motivation keep at it; time and failure are what lead to experience and if you aren't active in your field, you can't try, fail, or learn from those mistakes and from those around you. I highly recommend all new people learn some management and especially time management skills, they pay divdends all your life and can allow you to not only compete better in the marketplace, but get more of the things you want to be doing done both at work and in your freetime.

Red_Green

#8 Post by Red_Green » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:18 pm

dtsh wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:22 pm
The jobs are out there, I have friends who work in the field and I've hired people myself., both young and not so young.

Is it hard for a new person? Certainly and in just about every field that isn't basic manual labor. New people start with a base education, but frequently little experience. Education is nice, but it's that experience that really matters in a lot of circumstances. Going from a fresh start to expecience is difficult. Most jobs aren't dream jobs and sometimes we have to take something that isn't what we want until we can find something better. This isn't a new situation, it's been like this for new people for as long as I've been alive and I suspect much, much longer.

Do what you must to pay the bills, but stay active in your field even if it isn't paying the bills. It's easy to fall behind in fast moving fields so even if it's volunteer work or projects you've created for your own motivation keep at it; time and failure are what lead to experience and if you aren't active in your field, you can't try, fail, or learn from those mistakes and from those around you. I highly recommend all new people learn some management and especially time management skills, they pay divdends all your life and can allow you to not only compete better in the marketplace, but get more of the things you want to be doing done both at work and in your freetime.
I graduated college as a fish and wildlife technician in 2019. (I am 37 years old) I have been homeless and unemployed since. Living out of my car and crashing on couches. 80+ k in debt. Nobody at all will hire me to do anything.

If I could go back in time, I never would of went to college and just stayed being a dishwasher. At least then, I had some money.

Pursuing a science based career in North America at least for me here in Canada was a death sentence. How I am even still alive after all that, I don't even know. How I am going to stay alive, I don't know. So coming from my expeieriance, I could not with a clean conscience recommend an education in science to anybody and that's not even getting into the political aspect of where science is at right now.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:01 am

I think the sciences are well worth the education, job or no job. Of course that's easy for me to say. I have a job but not in science.