Hello all...retired and looking for a starter microscope

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
davetee

Hello all...retired and looking for a starter microscope

#1 Post by davetee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:17 am

I'm Dave from the UK, retired and just getting interested is microscopy. I'm also into astronomy, but the weathers is so bad I'm not able to do much and microscopy isn't weather dependent thankfully. I had a microscope when I was very young and always been fascinated by the pictures I see of the micro world. Hoping to learn lots on here before I buy a microscope. I'm happy to start off just doing visual while saving for a microscope I can use for photographing.

I'm considering the Amscope T340B or T490B as my first scope. Would be interested to hear other's thoughts, experiences with them?

photomicro

Re: Hello all...retired and looking for a starter microscope

#2 Post by photomicro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Dave

welcome (back) to the wonderful world of the hidden. I guess many folk on here would recommend getting more for your money by buying second-hand. There are numerous meetings in the UK each year where you can get such an instrument, and be helped by knowledgeable folk in your quest. Contact either the Postal Microscopical Society or the Quekett Microscopical Club for instance, both UK-based, both with web-sites

Mike (in North East)

davetee

#3 Post by davetee » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm

photomicro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm
Hi Dave

welcome (back) to the wonderful world of the hidden. I guess many folk on here would recommend getting more for your money by buying second-hand. There are numerous meetings in the UK each year where you can get such an instrument, and be helped by knowledgeable folk in your quest. Contact either the Postal Microscopical Society or the Quekett Microscopical Club for instance, both UK-based, both with web-sites

Mike (in North East)
I think a second hand one will be when I have more experience and time to save up for a decent one. I'll check those clubs out though - thanks

photomicro

#4 Post by photomicro » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm

davetee wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:09 pm
photomicro wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:45 pm
Hi Dave

Mike (in North East)
I think a second hand one will be when I have more experience and time to save up for a decent one. I'll check those clubs out though - thanks
Well worth checking Dave, you would be surprised to learn what you can get for less money than a new one.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:28 pm

Well worth checking Dave, you would be surprised to learn what you can get for less money than a new one.
Not only that but the chance to play with it first (test run) while getting some instruction is invaluable. Resale value is much better as well.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Another option is something like this -- near new but at a discount: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meiji-MX4300L- ... 000%7C7000

When the AmScope T490 came out, I thought it a pretty good bargain for a new scope. However, there has been a sort of brand extension to include some pretty cheap models as T490's. These will have regular achromat rather than plan achromat objectives and the condenser attached to the stage, rather than on its own focusing mount. In addition, I've also been hearing more complaints about focusing accuracy.

Rather than spending around $300-500 US for something like a new AmScope, you might find something really cheap and used locally to begin? Maybe $100? Then put the $200 to $400 saved to a better scope later?

Dave S

#7 Post by Dave S » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi Dave, and welcome.

For many years a serious amateur astronomer/imager, until I moved from a lovely dark sky village, into light pollution :(
Suffolk, UK

davetee

#8 Post by davetee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:25 am

I've just bought an Amscope SE305R-PZ-LED stereoscope to start me off while I'm deciding/saving for a compound scope. It will do as an intro scope to get me started,