Hello from Warsaw

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
Goofy

Hello from Warsaw

#1 Post by Goofy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi - greetings to All of You :)

Just want to introduce myself with brief note and some pics.

I use modded Bresser biolux AL. I made some rather basic stuff observations so far, like onions, insects, yeast and dirty water samples.
Microscope mods include:
- additional objectives 60x and 100x (oil). These are some cheap no-names from aliexpress. I had to strip them apart to bare glass and then re-fit into default biolux 40x objective body. That is because default head uses some non-standard threading. However whole microscope seems to keep 160mm focal standard close enough to somehow use my 'self made frankenstein DIN' optics :D
- very basic condenser made out of default 16x eyepiece loosely held under the stage.
- 10x eyepiece of better quality than default ones (16x and 5x).
- sort of diaphragm made of black isolation tape strips mounted inside eyepiece tubus directly behind prism. This greatly reduces reflections and improves overall image contrast. It was carefully cut not to cause any visual obstruction for the 10x eyepiece or default vga camera.
- smartphone adapter made of car holder

samples:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QYoC9HMcxaZRM3619
Bresser Erudit DLX

MicroBob

Re: Hello from Warsaw

#2 Post by MicroBob » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Dawid,
welcome to the forum!
It is nice to see that somebody squeezes such nice results out of a basic microscope! In microscopy there is often the idea that you need a well equipped research instrument before you can tackle interesting subjects, but this is not the case. I once had a comparable microscope and found out that adding on optical component out of my camera parts drawer as a make shift condenser raised the image quality a lot.
In microscopy it is very useful to be able to build and repair stuff as there are lots of old but high quality instuments on the market that only wait for someone with more fingers tha thums on his hands. In your case you might have a look for PZO microscopes, built in Warsaw until around 1990. The Mb-30 is a really nicely built instrument and there even was a DIC set available for it. At this age they usually need a cleaning and lubricating job like the instruments from all other brands. I normally can't stand beige microscopes but I love my fully equipped MB-30!

Do you already have a plancton net?

Bob

Malpi

#3 Post by Malpi » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Goofy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:03 pm
strip them apart to bare glass
Hello Goofy and welcome.

That was brave of you, and enterprising :) ! Did you find dis-assembly instructions somewhere on the web, or was it obvious upon inspection how to get it apart ? Reason I ask is that I have been given some objectives (ex gov. lab and ex. university) that have spent several decades in a shed, some un-protected and are covered in crud and need a good clean !

One of my donated objectives (a 10x) is not too bad and so I have been having fun with it on bellows on my Canon 60d in lieu of a microscope :) Very difficult to hold in focus but looks promising,,,, that is another story.
some non-standard threading.
In my case I had trouble with a non-standard thread on an Ebay adapter purchase, it was advertised as a RMS, [a real standard !!, at approximately 20.3mm] to M42 adapter, but it turned out to be a 25mm to M42 job and did not fit my RMS lens :(
I think 25mm is a sort of objective standard of other manufacturers ?
I have now got a real RMS to M42 job (from China this time) so I should put a post together soon to advise others of Ebay pitfalls.

Very interesting pictures, thanks for showing, at first I did not notice the little time markers - imagine my surprise when the rotifer(?) (pic18 caught my eye first) started moving ! Nice :)

Goofy

#4 Post by Goofy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi Bob,
MicroBob wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 pm
you might have a look for PZO microscopes, built in Warsaw until around 1990. The Mb-30 is a really nicely built instrument a
Yes, I'm carefully looking for some nice PZO, Christmas time coming :D I remember back in my primary school days to use PZO in a classroom. It seemed very solid and heavy duty. Nevertheless, there are plenty of really old and used up offers from schools and universities, so I need to be patient. I was more into Biolar, but will check MB-30 as well. Also I think of something like used Nikon Eclipse E100 or similar quality brand, Olympus etc. I have seen nice offers on ebay.de
MicroBob wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:33 pm
Do you already have a plancton net?
I do not, need to try one eventually, pond life is amazing.
Bresser Erudit DLX

Goofy

#5 Post by Goofy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Hello Malpi,

I have found disassembly really straightforward with no instructions. Having some mechanical experience from other fields, like general mechanics, car engines, etc. Chinese achromatics are really simple in my opinion, built like WWII tank. There are just a few screws. Lenses themself are kept in brass? capsules, each on top of another, all held in a threaded tube with lock screw at the end. Basically I took them out and glued together with tape and put into smaller body :D Yeah I know how it sounds, but it works just fine - relatively. Tomorrow I will post some pics on how it looks like inside and how the mod/adoption was done.

Bresser biolux has some 15mm?? threads. So these are totally non-standard I guess. I have paid like 25-35$ + free shipping for each objective, so there was more fun than risk involved ;)
Bresser Erudit DLX

Dave S

#6 Post by Dave S » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am

Hello, and welcome :)
Suffolk, UK

crrryoo

#7 Post by crrryoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi, i just found this thread because I'm struggling with weird round reflection in my Bresser Biolux NV, when using DSLR adapter on 10x and even more on 40x lens. It seems like it's because of the lenght of eyepice tube. When I'm unscrewing it and putting only DSLR adapter in front of prism it's basicly gone. So i guess this tube is generating this reflections.

I see you did some mod with black isolation tape that fixed it. Could you explain me where did you put this tape and how? If you have some photos of this that would be great.

Kamil