hello.

What is your microscopy history? What are your interests? What equipment do you use?
apochronaut

hello.

#1 Post by apochronaut » Wed May 20, 2015 3:27 pm

I joined about a week ago, so I guess I should introduce myself. Canada is my home and I have been involved with microscopes for 51 years, with a brief hiatus taking place , somewhere in the middle of that. I am mostly interested in diascopic microscopy, although I do also do some stereo microscopy. I have a broad range of instruments, some going back to the 19th century and on up to my most frequently used scope, a Reichert Diastar fitted with 6 objectives,the 3 more powerful of which( 25,40 and 100) are all planapos. That is as close as I have come to perfect imaging, so far.
I do a lot of dark field with living creatures and am shortly going to embark on a survey of phytoplankton in a specific body of water.
Most of my microscopes are Spencer, AO, Reichert( U.S.A.) and Bausch & Lomb. I am currently in the process of getting rid of all my Leitz equipment.
Over time I will post some information about specific microscopes. Some of the older ones are quite interesting. Phil.

JimT

Re: hello.

#2 Post by JimT » Wed May 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Welcome to the forum.

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Wed May 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Glad you joined the forum: welcome! I hope over time you will post images of your microscopes, as well as, of course, phytoplankton, etc., when possible.

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 am

Welcome to the group, Phil.

In some circles there would be a big discussion about getting rid of all your Leitz microscopes, but there must be good reasons. I know a few who would like to visit with you.

It sounds like you have a good selection from which to choose.

Your phytoplankton project sounds like a good way to use your scopes.

lorez

Crater Eddie

#5 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu May 21, 2015 1:37 am

Welcome! Don't be shy about posting pictures.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes. I will post some pictures. My camera system is under improvement, at the present time, so I will move along with it, as I can. Just so you know, I have nothing against Leitz microscopes but I acquired a bunch of Leitz 170mm and 160mm components from the distributor, a long time ago, some of it N.O.S. These were jettisoned, when they began the conversion to infinity , after the consolidation of Wild-Leitz, Cambridge, Bausch & Lomb, American Optical and Reichert-Jung and the new Leica Microsystems ownership and corporate direction dropped support for any older E. Leitz equipment. I just don't need any of it.
Almost all of my time now, is spent on infinity corrected scopes, with the exception of a couple of older 160mm Spencer apochromatic systems , a 160mm water immersion system and the unusual and all-encompassing Spencer-AO series #4 phase contrast system, which had the possibility of 7 different contrast methods.
Thank you for the welcomes and the comments. Phil.

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Fri May 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Welcome, Phil...I so enjoyed your shareing the path of your microscopy...thank you so much for that!

I am eager to share some of your plankton microscopy world views in this forum. It sounds great that you have adopted a sense of place involving a specific body of water. For me the linkages between our wetlands, our running, and our standing waters...and our vernal pools offer so much of microscopy world views. So I share a keen intrest in freshwater microscopy of protists and meiofauna...related to your live microscopy!

Congrats on your work horse planapo objectives, and those water immersion objectives, Phil! all the best, charlie guevara/finger lakes, uS.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:58 pm

charlie g wrote:Welcome, Phil...I so enjoyed your shareing the path of your microscopy...thank you so much for that!

I am eager to share some of your plankton microscopy world views in this forum. It sounds great that you have adopted a sense of place involving a specific body of water. For me the linkages between our wetlands, our running, and our standing waters...and our vernal pools offer so much of microscopy world views. So I share a keen intrest in freshwater microscopy of protists and meiofauna...related to your live microscopy!

Congrats on your work horse planapo objectives, and those water immersion objectives, Phil! all the best, charlie guevara/finger lakes, uS.
Thanks to all. To Charlie; I'm right across the big lake from you. I can see Oswego from my house on certain nights , when the weather is just so.
I'm focusing on a millpond right now but in future I will get into the bay on Lake Ontario , where I live. That's a body of water where the zooplankton unbalance has been heavily felt.
I am a died in the wool, bioregionalist. Humanity needs to bond around our relationship to the watersheds we share, not our political or national ties.Our water is our most important resource. Lake Iroqouis, Champlain Sea, Lake Ontario.

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm

I am a little further West of Oswego and also appreciate our Lakes!

charlie g

#10 Post by charlie g » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah to Phil and Jim T...we go up rt 81 from finger lakes/US...and summer on St.Lawrence River each year.

Both the finger lakes, and St.Lawrence river very young...thanks to our regions last glacial retreat about 10,000 years ago.

Water and microscopy of aquatic life...and the threads of waters through all life.

I sure hope Oliver may be able to launch another issue of: MicrobeHunter magazine soon. all the best, charlie guevara

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Oooops! I mean to say: 'yeaah' to Phil and Jim T!