Olympus Clone PlanF Objectives

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
LouiseScot

Olympus Clone PlanF Objectives

#1 Post by LouiseScot » Thu May 26, 2022 5:12 pm

Anyone tried these Chinese clone plan fluor objectives? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184823025583 ... SwWQBgimxh
I suppose you always only get what you pay for, but I figure these might be a bit better than ordinary standard infinity plan objectives... I also suspect the 'UPLANFL' stencil is just a Chinese marketing ploy. I have a different (probably actually the same as the one in the link...) infinity planf 10x/0.30 which is ok. Thoughts?

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

PeteM

Re: Olympus Clone PlanF Objectives

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu May 26, 2022 5:54 pm

Those might be somewhat legitimate - the seller is fairly reputable. I've had similar objectives with higher numerical apertures branded Motic and Accu-Scope. Both versions provided images that were a step ahead of plan achromats, though not as good (a half step behind?) as genuine Olympus UPlanFl and the newer UPlanFl N objectives.

I've also seen pure fakes. Mediocre plan acrhomats stenciled as either plan fluorite or semi-apo. Probably a bad idea to buy from any eBay seller who doesn't have a strong multi-feedback highly positive reputation to protect.

It used to be you could get good condition used Olympus plan fluorite objectives for about the same price as new generics. Seems that with rising inflation, eBay sellers expectations of used microscope parr prices are now sky high. Since most don't sell, these expectations may return to earth in a year or so?

LouiseScot

#3 Post by LouiseScot » Thu May 26, 2022 6:10 pm

PeteM wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:54 pm
Those might be somewhat legitimate - the seller is fairly reputable. I've had similar objectives with higher numerical apertures branded Motic and Accu-Scope. Both versions provided images that were a step ahead of plan achromats, though not as good (a half step behind?) as genuine Olympus UPlanFl and the newer UPlanFl N objectives.

I've also seen pure fakes. Mediocre plan acrhomats stenciled as either plan fluorite or semi-apo. Probably a bad idea to buy from any eBay seller who doesn't have a strong multi-feedback highly positive reputation to protect.

It used to be you could get good condition used Olympus plan fluorite objectives for about the same price as new generics. Seems that with rising inflation, eBay sellers expectations of used microscope parr prices are now sky high. Since most don't sell, these expectations may return to earth in a year or so?
It's a cost of living bandwagon! I might try the 20x/0.50 and see what it's like. PlanF have better colour correction than plain old plan objectives so should be worth it if kosher. If I do get one I'll post about it with comparison with a plan. I could also see what its UV transmission is like.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

woyjwjl

#4 Post by woyjwjl » Fri May 27, 2022 2:53 am

It is very easy for me to verify. :P

The only problem is the limited distance correction of my BHS.

It is estimated that I need to replace it with RLA suite
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 am

Possibly from Nanjing Donglilai. They also have Plan Apos from 2X .20 to 100X 1.30 oil. They are a manufacturer of microscope parts, not microscopes. Chinese microscope factories are mostly assemblers. Motic are more integrated but are still assemblers for part of their production. The seller is close to the factory, I would guess.

If you look carefully, one picture shows the 4X objective, the same apparent objective as 4X .16 ??? It would be good to see the back lens of them all, that would be somewhat revealing. They seem a bit different than the older PlanF. The front lens of the 40X looks like it might be plano, which if it is , for an objective over 20mm f.o.v. and plan is unusual. I see a little glint that indicates possibly not too. Hard to tell . The 20X has a modest N.A. for a fluorite.

You can buy CX 23 , 33 ect. branded microscopes from the Chinese factory that makes them. They are widespread and widely used in Chinese educational institutions. There are almost 100,000,000 secondary and post secondary students in China. Those objectives may have been made for that market.

I have 3 of the set of PlanF that Amscope sells but I paid about 250.00 for all of them. A couple from Amscope when they didn't know what they were selling and the price was really low and the other from India. India does a lot of microscope trade with China and each sells the others product . Those objectives are o.k. Probably better than PlanAchromats from the same maker but they seem to need more peripheral compensation than I think they should. The 4X is superior in general to my only other infinity options which are planachro but not by much. The 10X is outgunned by other plan fluorites I can use , as is the 40X but the 40X has value, with it's decent working distance, which allows for some error in the thickness of a hastily prepped aqueous slide. I can't get away with that with a 40X planapo for instance.
The 40X is still available from India with free shipping. If you are interested I can find a link. Price has risen some since I bought it but it is still almost 1/3 of the price Amscope wants for it. Cheaper than the one in your link.
Last edited by apochronaut on Fri May 27, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LouiseScot

#6 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am

apochronaut wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 am
Possibly from Nanjing Donglilai.. They also have Plan Apos from 2X .20 to 100X 1.30 oil. They are a manufacturer of microscope parts, not microscopes. Chinese microscope factories are mostly assemblers. Motic are more integrated but are still assemblers for part of their production. The seller is close to the factory, I would guess.

If you look carefully, one picture shows the 4X objective, the same apparent objective as 4X .16 ??? It would be good to see the back lens of them all, that would be somewhat revealing. They seem a bit different than the older PlanF. The front lens of the 40X looks like it might be plano, which if it is , for an objective over 20mm f.o.v. and plan is unusual. I see a little glint that indicates possibly not too. Hard to tell . The 20X has a modest N.A. for a fluorite.

You can buy CX 23 , 33 ect. branded microscopes from the Chinese factory that makes them. They are widespread and widely used in Chinese educational institutions. There are almost 100,000,000 secondary and post secondary students in China. Those objectives may have been made for that market.

I have 3 of the set of PlanF that Amscope sells but I paid about 250.00 for all of them. A couple from Amscope when they didn't know what they were selling and the price was really low and the other from India. India does a lot of microscope trade with China and each sells the others product . Those objectives are o.k. Probably better than PlanAchromats from the same maker but they seem to need more peripheral compensation than I think they should. The 4X is superior in general to my only other infinity options which are planachro but not by much. The 10X is outgunned by other plan fluorites I can use , as is the 40X but the 40X has value, with it's decent working distance, which allows for some error in the thickness of a hastily prepped aqueous slide. I can't get away with that with a 40X planapo for instance.
The 40X is still available from India with free shipping. If you are interested I can find a link. Price has risen some since I bought it but it is still almost 1/3 of the price Amscope wants for it. Cheaper than the one in your link.
I bought an Amscope 10x/0.30 infinity planf a few years ago - cost £177 with tax via Amazon just for that. I looked at their 40x planf but bought a second hand Nikon CFI60 40x/0.75 instead. It was a bit more (£222) but obviously an awful lot better! The Amscope 40x planf is about £340 with tax from the US! So sounds like you got your set cheap! I've seen some from Radical. They have quite a wide range on their web site but no prices - presumably they don't generally want to sell direct to end users. There are only a couple of fluors from them on their Ebay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144163588136 ... SwT5tWHT03 and https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144059808427 ... SwxXJcgf3W I couldn't see a 20x Was that 40x the same as via your link? If not your link would be useful, thanks :)

ps I think I'd have to pay 2.5% duty + 20% vat on goods from India

Louise

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Possibly from Nanjing Donglilai .They also have Plan Apos from 2X .20 to 100X 1.30 oil. They are a manufacturer of microscope parts, not microscopes. Chinese microscope factories are mostly assemblers. Motic are more integrated but are still assemblers for part of their production. The seller is close to the factory, I would guess.

If you look carefully, one picture shows the 4X objective, the same apparent objective as the 4X .13 as 4X .16 ??? It would be good to see the back lens of them all, that would be somewhat revealing. They seem a bit different than the older Chinese PlanF. The front lens of the 40X looks like it might be plano, which if it is , for an objective over 20mm f.o.v. and plan is unusual. I see a little glint that indicates possibly not too. Hard to tell . The 20X has a modest N.A. for a fluorite.

I will find the link and p.m. it. Just so you are clear, this link is for the 40X .75 only. That series never had a 20X from Amscope but a similarly named series from Bestscope does have a 20X .50.

LouiseScot

#8 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 27, 2022 1:28 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:25 pm
apochronaut wrote:
Possibly from Nanjing Donglilai .They also have Plan Apos from 2X .20 to 100X 1.30 oil. They are a manufacturer of microscope parts, not microscopes. Chinese microscope factories are mostly assemblers. Motic are more integrated but are still assemblers for part of their production. The seller is close to the factory, I would guess.

If you look carefully, one picture shows the 4X objective, the same apparent objective as the 4X .13 as 4X .16 ??? It would be good to see the back lens of them all, that would be somewhat revealing. They seem a bit different than the older Chinese PlanF. The front lens of the 40X looks like it might be plano, which if it is , for an objective over 20mm f.o.v. and plan is unusual. I see a little glint that indicates possibly not too. Hard to tell . The 20X has a modest N.A. for a fluorite.

I will find the link and p.m. it. Just so you are clear, this link is for the 40X .75 only. That series never had a 20X from Amscope but a similarly named series from Bestscope does have a 20X .50.
ok, thanks.

Louise

LouiseScot

#9 Post by LouiseScot » Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 pm

Hi @apochronaut

Just wondering if you found the link you mentioned? I came across this post of yours viewtopic.php?p=116650#p116650 and wondered if that was actually re the same objectives you mentioned above. They seem to be the same PlanF s that I linked to above from the Radical Ebay shop and seem identical to the corresponding Amscope PlanF objectives. For me, in the UK, the Radical ones would be more expensive than the Chinese Olympus clones in my OP. At the same time the 'Radical' ones don't seem to correspond to any of the, presumably better quality, plan fluor objectives that are listed on the main Radical website, so I expect they actually are identical to the Amscope objectives. Obviously I can't tell if there's any difference in optical quality between the Olympus clones and the PlanFs, It's a pity Radical don't publish any prices for their products, including their accessories/objectives https://www.radicalindia.com/upgrade-optics.php.
Maybe if I have to ask, I can't afford!

Louise

Scarodactyl

#10 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 28, 2022 8:16 pm

The prices I've heard of from Radical are surprisingly affordable but they didn't respond to my request for pricing on some fluors and apos a while back which was annoying. I may try again in the future.

LouiseScot

#11 Post by LouiseScot » Sat May 28, 2022 8:33 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:16 pm
The prices I've heard of from Radical are surprisingly affordable but they didn't respond to my request for pricing on some fluors and apos a while back which was annoying. I may try again in the future.
I have a feeling they maybe don't sell to hobbyists other than their limited Ebay budget range, but I don't know for sure.

Louise

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 28, 2022 10:33 pm

Farnsy has bought from them.

LouiseScot

#13 Post by LouiseScot » Sat May 28, 2022 11:10 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:33 pm
Farnsy has bought from them.
Did he? I've not seen @farnsy about since he posted about his BestScope? Do you know if he bought from their actual web site rather than the Ebay shop?

Louise

Scarodactyl

#14 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat May 28, 2022 11:56 pm

He mentioned getting a 100x semi apo water immersion objective. I don't know all the details unfortunately.

LouiseScot

#15 Post by LouiseScot » Sun May 29, 2022 12:01 am

I've come across these other Olympus (UIS2?) clones which look interesting though somewhat more expensive than the OP Ebay clones. Higher NAs which is good. Plus, if to be believed, a 25 FN! It may just be another storefront as they also offer the same OP fluor clones. It's all a Chinese rabbit hole - or warren!

Louise

Oops - forgot the link! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 3e5fakiSih
Last edited by LouiseScot on Sun May 29, 2022 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouiseScot

#16 Post by LouiseScot » Sun May 29, 2022 12:04 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:56 pm
He mentioned getting a 100x semi apo water immersion objective. I don't know all the details unfortunately.
Oh ok. They are on the Radical web site products/optics list. Won't be cheap, but farnsy seemed to have a lot to spend!
Louise

LouiseScot

#17 Post by LouiseScot » Sun May 29, 2022 9:32 am

LouiseScot wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:01 am
I've come across these other Olympus (UIS2?) clones which look interesting though somewhat more expensive than the OP Ebay clones. Higher NAs which is good. Plus, if to be believed, a 25 FN! It may just be another storefront as they also offer the same OP fluor clones. It's all a Chinese rabbit hole - or warren!

Louise

Anyone tried the above objectives (the 'uis2' ones posted on aliexpress) ?

Louise

apochronaut

#18 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am

LouiseScot wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:32 am
LouiseScot wrote:

Louise

Louise
There appear to be 3 series of better colour corrected objectives with a 180mm reference length that are being made in China. PlanF, Plan Fluor and Plan Apo.

In addition there are 2 series of better corrected objectives for the 200mm NIS60 system and at least on series for the NIS45 system.

From India there are semi-apos and apos made under contract by Seiwa for the NIS60 system sold there. In India they sell the same 60mm parfocal stands that they sell in China but outfit them with a broader range of optics. Others for the 180mm system appear to be the very same PlanF sold in China.

LouiseScot

#19 Post by LouiseScot » Tue May 31, 2022 12:00 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am
LouiseScot wrote:
LouiseScot wrote:

Louise

Louise
There appear to be 3 series of better colour corrected objectives with a 180mm reference length that are being made in China. PlanF, Plan Fluor and Plan Apo.

In addition there are 2 series of better corrected objectives for the 200mm NIS60 system and at least on series for the NIS45 system.

From India there are semi-apos and apos made under contract by Seiwa for the NIS60 system sold there. In India they sell the same 60mm parfocal stands that they sell in China but outfit them with a broader range of optics. Others for the 180mm system appear to be the very same PlanF sold in China.
Hi there - thanks for your reply. Did you find the link you referred to earlier? I'm really only looking at the Olympus compatible 45mm as the 60mm ones won't fit the scope (I already have a CFI60 20x plan apo lambda and a CFI60 40x plan fluor but can't use them on the Amscope 720 :( I'd need an Eclipse stand or the equivalent India ones you quoted).
As I mentioned, the Chinese plan fluors have a higher spec than the PlanF's (if their data can be trusted), and price. Still relatively 'cheap' but also quite a lot to pay out, especially if you add in import taxes. Maybe there are alternate sources for them other than the AliExpress one?
Thanks
Louise

apochronaut

#20 Post by apochronaut » Tue May 31, 2022 1:04 pm

There are but the prices are usually within a few dollars difference. These are all pretty good objectives, maybe not where Planapos or Planfluors from 6 or 7 major makers are but the differences are probably slight. All makers have formulas held by their r & d division to make a broad array of optics. Years ago I contacted both Carton Optical( famous for making Tasco) and Selopt ( Seoul Optical) about having a limited run of 100X iris equipped planapos made. They both responded immediately, as though they had the engineering already done. One asked how many I wanted and the other quoted a sliding price structure based on quantities.

I have only used the Chinese PlanF and even with those, the 40X sits at over U.S. $300.00 almost always. The Plan Fluor relatively more, the PlanApo relatively more.

If you are dialled into an Olympus 180mm system, that's that. I have some of all NIS45, NIS60 and the 180mm system. The NIS45 and 60 are compatible and with 182mm Reichert as well( with acceptance of a roughly 10% magnification difference).

The Olympus 180, not with any of the above unless you are content to live with the 10% mag. difference as well as a peripheral small percentage difference in the ca between them. That can be corrected for with an eyepiece switch but objective mixing becomes cumbersome therefore. You kind of want one or the other.

Scarodactyl

#21 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue May 31, 2022 10:42 pm

There is also a specific 20x apo made for slide scanners which seems to be a copy of the olympus 20x plansapo. Unclear if it's from another series and also marketed separately or what.

apochronaut

#22 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:33 am

I think you will see the PlanF objectives disappear over time. They haven't been very successful because there is suspicion about what they are and outside of scoring a deal here and there they are quite expensive relative to the prospects of finding real planfluors or planapos on ebay. Even at the 250.00 I paid for 3 of them, I still paid only slightly more for 3 Reichert PlanApos and less for 3 Reichert PlanFluors. Top shelf stuff.
My guess is that the Plan semi-apos or Planfluors you will see around in the ensuing months are the PlanF reimagined.

Ayla

#23 Post by Ayla » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:18 am

LouiseScot wrote:
LouiseScot wrote:

Louise

Louise
You can buy them with peace of mind. They have quality. I bought the 4X-10X-20X and 40X and they work perfectly on my phase contrast Amscope. I didn't buy the 100X because my microscope's condenser has NA 1.25.
These lenses have a high numerical aperture and are of quality.
The vendor also sells Mitutoyo APO clones for material inspection (I bought a 2X).
Very satisfied with the purchases. Reliable seller.

LouiseScot

#24 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:12 pm

Ayla wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:18 am
LouiseScot wrote:
LouiseScot wrote:

Louise

Louise
You can buy them with peace of mind. They have quality. I bought the 4X-10X-20X and 40X and they work perfectly on my phase contrast Amscope. I didn't buy the 100X because my microscope's condenser has NA 1.25.
These lenses have a high numerical aperture and are of quality.
The vendor also sells Mitutoyo APO clones for material inspection (I bought a 2X).
Very satisfied with the purchases. Reliable seller.
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm still slightly sceptical of the spec they claim (NA/Fn) and they are quite expensive. They aren't actually phase contrast objectives? Also the 'shop' has an eclectic and odd mix of different objectives which looks a bit strange.

Louise

apochronaut

#25 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm

They are pretty o.k., not stellar but an acceptable option compared to paying handily for the bulk of the better corrected second hand well known stuff that clogs the consciousness of the microscope proletariat.
I have 3 of them and they definitely outperform their related planachromats as well as by a small margin, Olympus planachromats I have compared them to. Colour correction is slightly better and planarity as long as one adheres to correct eyepiece matching is equivalent. They have improved resolution and contrast.
They do not outperform any other planfluors I have compared them to. The 4X is the most useful of the three I have.
Those objectives have to be put into context. For brand new better colour corrected objectives they are not that expensive, especially since if you look around carefully, they can be purchased for less than what one would expect, less in many cases than average big four planachros. Geez. I paid 56.00 for the 4X .13 from Amscope. How much cheaper does one want!

LouiseScot

#26 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:12 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:00 pm
They are pretty o.k., not stellar but an acceptable option compared to paying handily for the bulk of the better corrected second hand well known stuff that clogs the consciousness of the microscope proletariat.
I have 3 of them and they definitely outperform their related planachromats as well as by a small margin, Olympus planachromats I have compared them to. Colour correction is slightly better and planarity as long as one adheres to correct eyepiece matching is equivalent. They have improved resolution and contrast.
They do not outperform any other planfluors I have compared them to. The 4X is the most useful of the three I have.
Those objectives have to be put into context. For brand new better colour corrected objectives they are not that expensive, especially since if you look around carefully, they can be purchased for less than what one would expect, less in many cases than average big four planachros. Geez. I paid 56.00 for the 4X .13 from Amscope. How much cheaper does one want!
I'm talking about the more expensive Plan Fluor clones from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001 ... 3e5fakiSih

Louise

apochronaut

#27 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 pm

Those are featured often as semi-apo and I doubt that they are not as described. A similar family of objectives is made in both 180mm format ando the NIS45 and NIS60 200mm formats and listed as accessories for microscope systems that offer a 25mm f.o.v.
Still , not that expensive for what they are and I would not be surprised if they are in fact objectives that both Olympus and Nikon offer badged for them. Both of those companies increasingly face high production costs in Japan and are shifting manufacturing offshore.

LouiseScot

#28 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:40 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 pm
Those are featured often as semi-apo and I doubt that they are not as described. A similar family of objectives is made in both 180mm format ando the NIS45 and NIS60 200mm formats and listed as accessories for microscope systems that offer a 25mm f.o.v.
Still , not that expensive for what they are and I would not be surprised if they are in fact objectives that both Olympus and Nikon offer badged for them. Both of those companies increasingly face high production costs in Japan and are shifting manufacturing offshore.
Pricing seems a bit strange tho. Anyway, I'll probably just continue to do without upgrading for now.

Louise