Wild M8 vs Oly SZH

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Gatorengineer64

Wild M8 vs Oly SZH

#1 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:21 am

Hi,

As mentioned in another post I currently have a Wild M3, and an Oly szh, I am for some reason not in love with the SZH, I like the Wild ergonomics better, hence the desire to cludge up an M8 for which the last parts should be here tomorrow. Only one will likely stay, I have a feeling that the SZH will be better optically, but wondering if anyone has done a similar comparison and kept the M8? Is there anything else in the sub 2k range that would be worth a look, (Pun intended). Is there a way to put a better objective on the M8? having an ongoing discussion with RAF, and he says he is unsure of the M8 threads. Thoughts?

einman

Re: Wild M8 vs Oly SZH

#2 Post by einman » Thu May 23, 2024 12:45 am

I had an Olympus szh fully opted with practically every option desirable. I sold it. I just never became enamored with its performance. It performed poorer, in my opinion than my B&L SZ7. When you look at the specs it has an na below that of either the Nikon SMZ-U or the SZ7 for that matter. The SZH10 was Olympus improving the specs to match their competitors. That is not say the SZH is not a good scope. It is just that when making purchases based in ROI I chose to replace mine. I have no experience with an M8. I have eyed them many times on E-bay. It is my understanding the specs are as good if not better than the SZH.

Image[/URL]

Sliding Focus

#3 Post by Sliding Focus » Thu May 23, 2024 1:09 am

As mentioned in that other thread, at least one person has managed to put a Leica planapo objective on an M8, and it seems pretty safe to assume that that’s a nice upgrade (over a regular M8, and probably also over your SZH). However, I don’t know what it would cost to acquire one of those objectives (plus an adapter)—it might push the cost of your M8 system over $2k?

Rorschach

#4 Post by Rorschach » Thu May 23, 2024 2:44 pm

It is possible to put a Leica or Wild PlanApo on the M8. Some of these have a 65mm thread as opposed to the 60mm on the M8. All you need is a simple adapter which Leica used to make (also for 50mm, ie. the Wild M3B/C/Z). There were even adapters to put a 50mm thread objective on a 60mm or 65mm thread Leica or Wild scope.

A Leica/Wild PlanApo will cost a few hundred euros at least. If you are willing to invest around 600 euros or so, you should definitely be able to find one. There are 1x, 1.6x and 2x versions and some are for 50mm thread, others for 60mm or 65mm.

There's even a rare and very expensive Leica 2x PlanApo corr., which let's one account for the different refractive index of water/ethanol as compared to air. At the default setting it is normal, i.e. for air but you can dial in compensation for up to 5mm of water/ethanol. That objective has 65mm thread. But good luck finding that one :D Plus it's probably cost quite a bit more than the normal PlanApos. According to my experience, it does give you a small but noticeable resolution advantage versus the normal PlanApo 2x when used on subject in water or ethanol. Handy for benthic macroinvertebrate id work or any other specimen that needs to be in water/ethanol.

Gatorengineer64

#5 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Thu May 23, 2024 7:57 pm

My SZH has the toys, just something about the ergometrics, I have the Oly Plan apo for it, it has a chip but...... I dont think that blacked out makes much of a difference. Should have the body for the M8 today, and picked up an Ebay Wild Plan for it.....

The Nikon SMZ-Us are pretty affordable as things go. Are the SMZ800s even a better scope or are they cost reduced variant, anyone know the thread size on those?

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Fri May 24, 2024 3:09 am

I have an M8 (and M3Z with the objective shift), SZH, SZH-10, and SMZ-U -- and like them all.

The SZH-10 has become my go-to stereo microscope. I use it at a standing desk and have the rotating objective changer (a big plus IMO), an iris, a photo port, etc. A .105na 1x Nikon objective, various .4 to .5x objectives, and a 1.6x Oly Plan Fluor (thanks to a swap with Stephen) are used. With a lens change from .4x to 1.6x and the 10x zoom, it's possible to get a 40x zoom equivalent. I like the wide view, the generally excellent opics, and (for me) the ergonomics. I've also fit it with reflected and transmitted polarization. The SZH is also nice; takes the same accessories, but is a half step behind due to the smaller zoom range and the lack of a fine focus.

The M8 is a wonderful scope - beautifully made and smaller than either the Olympus SZH/SZH-10 or Nikon SMZ-U. One could see traveling with it. As with the original poster, it's an easy scope to like working with. All that said, the SZH-10 has been easier to turn into a more versatile and capable scope.

The Nikon SMZ-U is pretty much spec-wise the equivalent of the Olympus scopes. Still, I've ended up not liking it quite as much as the SZH-10. Somewhat foolishly, that's probably as much about aesthetics as performance. I do like the scope and keep it for its epi-illumination feature not duplicated on either the Wild or Olympus scopes.

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Fri May 24, 2024 11:33 am

To add, the Olympus SZH/SZH-10 have an M54 x 1mm thread. The Nikon SMZ-U is M55. Later Nikon Plan Apos had an M58 thread. The Wild M8 objective's thread is M60 x 1mm.

Rorschach

#8 Post by Rorschach » Fri May 24, 2024 12:08 pm

No real experience on the Nikon stereos but I didn't fall in love with the Olympus ones. I found Wild to be perfect for my use and needs. Newer Zeiss is good too but those are expensive and the cheaper ones like Stemi 2000, despite being otherwise good quality, lack the expansion options of a CMO-based stereo.

Gatorengineer64

#9 Post by Gatorengineer64 » Mon May 27, 2024 12:16 am

After using them side by side for a couple of days, I am mostly using them for micro minerals and gram class meteorite work, I have found I like the szh with the little extra optical reach. Also I have the ergonomic head for the oly and the traditional on the m8.

Looks like the m8 will be staying and at some point it will get an objective upgrade as well as a second objective. If someone can advise where they got the nikon adapter made it would be appreciated. Perhaps I just need to give Raf more info.

Rorschach

#10 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 27, 2024 3:42 am

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 12:16 am
After using them side by side for a couple of days, I am mostly using them for micro minerals and gram class meteorite work, I have found I like the szh with the little extra optical reach. Also I have the ergonomic head for the oly and the traditional on the m8.

Looks like the m8 will be staying and at some point it will get an objective upgrade as well as a second objective. If someone can advise where they got the nikon adapter made it would be appreciated. Perhaps I just need to give Raf more info.
There is a Wild/Leica ergo head that was originally made for the Wild M10. It is fully apochromatic, which made sense as the M10's entire optical train is apochromatic. Wild M8 is not but this ergo head will still be a great addition on it. It is easy to recognize from the 'accordion' skirt. These heads tend to be rather expensive unless you get lucky. Apparently there's a chinese knock-off but you will be at your own peril getting one of those.