Good priced 40x objectives?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
microscopeboi

Good priced 40x objectives?

#1 Post by microscopeboi » Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 am

hi, ive been looking for a good under $200 40 or 50x planapo or plan fluor objective. the only stipulation is it needs to be infinity corrected. does anyone know a good source of these? i search american and german ebay but i havent been able to find any for under 200 that were infinity corrected. if you know of a good option let me know! thanks.

PeteM

Re: Good priced 40x objectives?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat May 16, 2020 5:24 pm

Don't imagine you'll find one new; and finding one used at that price would be rare. I have seen Chinese objectives claiming to be fluor, but surely (judging by price and numerical aperture) just a stenciled-on description. I did recently sell a pair of 20x and 40x Motic Plan Fluor objectives around $300 for the two (to supplement a phase BX40); but that was a special price. If you find the Motic plan fluor infinity objectives, they're pretty good.

$300 and a bit of patience might more commonly get you into something like a Nikon Plan Fluor, Olympus UPlanFl, or Leica Neofluor at 40x.

There are some plan infinity objectives with a bit of fluorite in them meant for reflected use that are infinity - but they also usually want corrections somewhere and are for no cover slip use. Olympus MSPlan and some early Leitz would be examples. You can also buy more modern Leica with a slightly higher than usual NA (indicative of some fluorite glass); but again for epi no-cover use.

In the finite realm, you're much more likely to find a decent plan fluor or apo objective under $200.

apochronaut

Re: Good priced 40x objectives?

#3 Post by apochronaut » Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm

What microscope is it for? You can't just put any infinity corrected objective on any microscope, although there is great compatability, sometimes.

I know where you can get a 40X with a .75 aperture , Chinese plan fluor for 116.00 with free shipping. It is probably Motic compatable. I don't want to post the source here because there might be a flood of requests and then the scene might change. p.m. me and I can send a link to you.