How many microscopes are enough? :<)

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
einman

Re: How many microscopes are enough? :<)

#31 Post by einman » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:56 am

I find myself shifting towards optimizing my existing scopes rather than considering purchasing an entire stand. Although I still look at some stereoscopes with envy and wondering if the higher resolution is really worth the cost..

MicroPunter

#32 Post by MicroPunter » Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:58 pm

I have a friend who enjoys playing the ukulele. He stared with one ukulele about two years ago. He now owns about twenty instruments and is always lusting after a new ukulele.

I never really understood this urge until my microscope arrived. I have a Swift 380T and I really like it and am enjoying using it but although I’ve had it less than a week I am already looking at a next microscope and compiling a list of the features my next one must have. I have a fear that the answer to how many microscopes are enough is this:
N(p) = N(c) + 1
Where:
N(p) is the perfect number of microscopes and
N(c) is the current number of microscopes you own.

Rorschach

#33 Post by Rorschach » Sun May 19, 2024 10:28 am

MicroPunter wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:58 pm
I have a friend who enjoys playing the ukulele. He stared with one ukulele about two years ago. He now owns about twenty instruments and is always lusting after a new ukulele.

I never really understood this urge until my microscope arrived. I have a Swift 380T and I really like it and am enjoying using it but although I’ve had it less than a week I am already looking at a next microscope and compiling a list of the features my next one must have. I have a fear that the answer to how many microscopes are enough is this:
N(p) = N(c) + 1
Where:
N(p) is the perfect number of microscopes and
N(c) is the current number of microscopes you own.
I know the feeling :lol:

However, regarding stereo microscopes and upright transmitted light scopes, I've reached the ceiling and can't really improve the systems much, no matter how much money I'd be throwing around. So it's now just fine tuning what I have. And putting together complete scopes from the extra parts, then selling those off.

Regarding inverted scopes, I am not quite there yet but may be soon depending on how a few things go.

There's one area that I have completely neglected, though, and this the imaging/photo segment. It has always been secondary in my activity and plans, while the actual use of microscopes has been primary. Perhaps I will start to be more active with the imaging at some point, when I finally have the funds (for a proper camera) and a bit more time and space.

AntoniScott

#34 Post by AntoniScott » Mon May 20, 2024 10:07 pm

To question of the ages - How many microscopes are enough ? I have nine microscopes !!!!
I am assuming I am in the same comany as most of us that have an above average enthusiasm for the microscope.
My interest in the microscope goes back to the mid 1950's when I lived in England and I was able to get a very simple microscope with a single none-interchangeable objective or eyepiece. It didn't even have a rack and pinion focus but a crude tight fitting barrel in a sleeve that allowed crude up and down focussing. I do remember two things, one that the scope was made in Japan and that it had 200x engraved on the barrel. This experience started me out on my exciting obsession with the microscope that has stayed with me for the rest of my life. Several years later when my family moved to the USA I was introduced to dozens of microscopes in the USA that offered multiple objectives and/or eyepieces with staggering magnifications up to 900X !!!! Shortly after that I discovered the wide selection of microscopes available from Lafayette Radio and Electronics and purchased my first microscope (with some financial help from my parents). I bought a 1200x "Researcher" and spent countless hours mesmerizsed in the discovery of minute marvels of nature. In retrospect the optical quality of the "Researcher" was not that bad, even by today's standards !!!

My interest in the microscope was never just about a tool for a specific job but a fascination about an instrument of precision. This fascination has stayed with me for my entire life. My interests and critical requirements only got stronger. My recent microscope aquistions are several Olympus scopes, an interesting Bristoline scope (it looks like a clone on the Olympus but utilises the "short" objectives, instead of the long objectives but has equal optical quality. I have several Olympus scopes with three, four, five and even six objetcive turrets , all having interchangeable nose-piece turrets. I also have a vintage Seibert scope (precursor to Leitz) in stunning condition. I have also collected a series of the 1960 vintage Lafayette scopes out of interest to their unusual interest in offering so many scopes. I do enjoy looking though my old scopes but am disappointed that their optical quality after 60+ years since the optical quality has somewhat degraded due to glass deterioration, crazing, etc. At present I have nine microscopes ranging from the 1890's to 1980"s. In their own ways, they are all precision intruments. It's crazy, but I enjoy them.