Moving condenser

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MicroSarah

Moving condenser

#1 Post by MicroSarah » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi can anyone help please? I have a Swift 380T microscope and have found the condenser is not central. Any ideas how I can alter its position? Cant find anything on swift site.
Many thanks
Sarah

apochronaut

Re: Moving condenser

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:42 pm

Usually there are screws attaching the condenser or condenser carrier to either the stage or stage mount. Loosening those screws allows some movement of the condenser body in order to center it.

Unfortunately, without having the microscope in hand it is difficult to determine where the misalignment is. The condenser could be centered to the stage, and the stage off center. Or it could also be that the nosepiece is off center.

Can you return the microscope for a replacement? The Swift people should step up here and lend a hand .

Alignment is unfortunately a big problem with the mass marketed Chinese microscopes.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Many microscopes do not come with the ability to center the condenser and some are way off. At the same time, many can be centered but the manufacturer doesn't tell you how.. And no, I'm not familiar with your scope, but I have centered more than one condenser even though I once had to do some disassembly to figure out how because a particular scope was most difficult, so take a look at this.
In this case, the condenser mounted into a rather thin ring of metal between the mounting casting and the condenser. The ring was held in place by three very small Allen screws. I went to the hardware store and bought three Allen wrenches to fit the screws. One wrench for each screw. I loosened the screw that holds the condenser in place very slightly and adjusted those three screws to center the condenser.
The point in all this is that there is usually a solution even though it is not immediately apparent.
The most important tool I used was patience.
Good luck,
Greg

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:51 pm

If you go to the Swift site, you can download the manual:
https://swiftoptical.com/products/sw380t

Edit: Looking through the instructions, I don't see it mention centering the condenser. On the outside of the ring which holds the condenser, there should be two screws or knobs on either side. Move the condenser in the most up position. Focus on a specimen with the 10X objective. Then close the condenser iris to the most closed position, and looking through the eyepiece,turn the two screws in different directions will move the condenser. Turn the two screws until you see the hole the iris leaves make centered over the specimen. When centered, open the iris to the edge of the field of view.

Here are some internet instructions: https://www.microscopeworld.com/t-troub ... nser.aspx

MicroSarah

#5 Post by MicroSarah » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Thank you all for your help. I have found the tiny screws and have managed to get a small enough Allen key so tomorrow I’ll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Stevejw

#6 Post by Stevejw » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 pm

I had to do the same thing with my Swift 350B (little sibling of the 380) and it was worth the worry of potentially maiming my new toy! If yours has the same layout this may be helpful. I loosened the allen screws, as others have said, then found that the condenser hangs from the metal plate that the scews hold in place. Centering it was by physically moving the condenser left/right, forward/backward until the image of the diaphragm was centred in the eyepiece. The tricky bit was gently tightening the screws without the condenser moving again. I found the secret was to get the screws just gripping the plate so the condenser could just be moved to centre it but it was still held snug enough not to wander off on its own. Patience is your friend here. (A bonus was that I was also able to turn the condenser to stop the iris adjustment lever fouling the stage movement controls) Good luck and enjoy your Swift!

MicroSarah

#7 Post by MicroSarah » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Thanks so much stevejw, it worked a treat!

denipo

#8 Post by denipo » Thu May 27, 2021 8:48 am

I think I got a microscope with the exact same problem and all of the other possible issues.
https://youtu.be/eYlGPAHSjyk

I yesterday spent few hours on trying to fix them all and I actually found really good solutions to all of them, so mow my microscope works really fine. I will try to make a video on that, but shortly: I had to expand the existing holes in the plastic, to move the condenser, and disassemble the microscope to fix the adjustment knob, and some thread locker to fix the objective holder.

farnsy

#9 Post by farnsy » Sat May 29, 2021 2:00 am

Note that LouiseScot, a member of this forum, 3D printed a new condenser mount for this particular microscope that is centerable--the initial purpose was to accommodate a darkfield condenser but my impression is that it would work with the regular condenser as well. You might look in that direction if you have access to a 3D printer or someone who does.

I think a finished product like that would be quite popular. This is now the third case I have seen where people wanted a different condenser mount for that particular microscope. Little things like that are what microscope manufacturers often cheap out on, but they aren't that difficult to create if you have the right tools.

LouiseScot

#10 Post by LouiseScot » Sat May 29, 2021 12:15 pm

Yes, just loosening the allen key bolts (a little) will allow centering of the helical condenser holder :) You may find it easier to do it if you unscrew the plastic 'illuminator' from the base but as I recall, you can just about do it with everything in situ. Just make sure you are loosening the right bolts! There are 3 of them in a roughly triangular spacing close to the condenser, and they have washers.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo