Balplan 31-18-71 adapter specs needed

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
ebenbildmicroscopy

Balplan 31-18-71 adapter specs needed

#1 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:57 am

I've had a couple of Balplans in my boneyard for probably 10 years that I'm starting to get interested in using. I just purchased another one off Fleabay in order to get both the high intensity lamp as well as the quintuple nosepiece... I'm a fanatic about 5 place nosepieces!! At any rate, looking through an old Balplan catalog, I encountered a listing and pic for the 31-18-71 "Adapter for Reversing 31-18-68 Nosepiece". I want to machine one out of stainless steel or brass but would like to base my copy on the specs of an original especially in regards to how this adds to mechanical tube length. The catalog pic is of insufficient resolution to discern if there are any threads or if it couples to the nosepiece via a dovetail collar. If anyone has one of these you could measure and photograph up close, I would be grateful!
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss Photomicroscope III
Zeiss OPMI 6S
B&L Stereozoom and Balplan

apochronaut

Re: Balplan 31-18-71 adapter specs needed

#2 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm

I am loathe to remove it to measure it because I will have to recenter it but measuring in situ, it is just over 23mm or probably 29/32" originally. The quintuple is tight in the reversed position, so if you made it 24mm it wouldn't hurt. That is the amount of actual extension. The two ends are the same male and female dovetails found on the arm and nosepiece.

The adapter fits above the common negative multiplier lens, which stays in the back of the nosepiece, so it is placed in what appears to be an infinity space, since the microscope has further up in the head, a converging telan lens. So any extension the adapter provides is only on the length of the infinity space.
Last edited by apochronaut on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebenbildmicroscopy

#3 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:22 pm

THANK YOU apochronaut! Bless you, and your children, and your children's children!!! (I apologize that this reply to your helpful measurements will be looooooong!)

I have to start by making a confession... I'm a hoarder and the condition has easily spread to my microscope accumulation. I'm 1st, a Leitz OrtholuxI/Orthoplan guy with a pinch of, 2nd, being a Zeiss GFL/Standard/Universal collector with a 3rd, AO model 110/Stereostar addiction... I've always said, "I'm NOT gonna even set one toe down the B&L path," (even though a boom mounted Stereozoom is my primary "shop" scope in the repair work I do)!

Well, here I am, about two or three yards down *that* path... I'm going to limit my interest to: (1) fancy Balplan, (1) fancy Dynoptic (that I'm in the process of re-configuring) and (1) fancy 1950s era Wide field stereomicroscope (that is almost completely restored right now).

I am anticipating the arrival of the "new" quintuple nosepiece tomorrow and, since I have never removed either of the nosepieces on my current Balplans, will extricate it from the high intensity stand. I suspected the extension to reverse the nosepiece was a male/female dovetail tube but, in the Balplan catalog, there's nothing to compare the tiny looking unit they picture in the brochure. When I turn the copy on the lathe, I'll do a follow-up post detailing your suggestion.
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss OPMI 6S

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:58 pm

I reread what I wrote above so did a little edit so it is a bit clearer. I agree that the 5 place nosepiece makes a big difference. If you read the thread by Jay Margolis about his time working at B & L, maybe somewhere out there one or two prototype 6 place nosepieces exist.

ebenbildmicroscopy

#5 Post by ebenbildmicroscopy » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:00 pm

Uuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh apochronaut!!!!!!!! Of course, now you've done it... you know what you've done? Now, in addition to my search for Sasquatch and the fabled "Black Orthoplan" of legend, I'm gonna start seeing Elvis and 6 place Balplan nosepieces everywhere on Fleabay!
JeffO, aka "Ortho amore"
Leitz Ortholux I
Leitz Orthoplan
Leitz Macro-Dia Device
Zeiss GFL
Zeiss Standard
Zeiss OPMI 6S