Repairing an Olympus 40x Apochromat

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
MicroMan2

Repairing an Olympus 40x Apochromat

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:25 am

Hello, I've recently gotten a lot of objectives featuring a 40x S Plan Apo, however it seems that the previous owner misused objective and caused misalignment of the lens elements making images impossible to make. My question, is it possible to realign the lens elements of the objective or this the endeavor a sunken ship?

PeteM

Re: Repairing an Olympus 40x Apochromat

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:02 am

I'd think misalignment would be rare, unless there are signs the objective has been opened up. Is it just the front element that looks pushed in? Are there signs of attempted entry from the back?

Problems like oil intrusion or fungus might be at fault. If you use a phase telescope you may be able to see if any (and which) lens elements might be at fault. I've had some luck repairing this sort of problem, by very careful disassembly -- noting the exact placement and orientation of every lens element, shim, and spacer on the way in. Clean the offending surfaces and you might be rewarded with a decent view upon reassembly. You'll need proper spanners and other tools to accomplish the task.

Olympus' own service is another option; though likely at a cost about the same as buying a good performing objective used.

MicroMan2

#3 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:25 am

It seems that the front lens was crashed causing the lens to have become crooked. When I look through the rear focal plane of the objective, the usual circular image of the lens is instead an elliptical. Another observation is that the rear lens washer was easily removed by my hand indicating prior assess to the lens.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:12 am

I've never taken an Olympus 40x SPlanApo apart. Is yours the dry one with a correction collar or the oil immersion version?

Most objectives I have disassembled are packed solid with glass and spacers so there really isn't space for an element to go very far cockeyed. The one 40x SPlanPlanApo I have (dry) has a sort of black surround that might possibly get pushed in - don't know. That someone else has likely already been into the objective isn't a good sign. A correction collar will complicate things.

Given that it doesn't work now, you might go in and look around. It won't be a task for the faint hearted. Could be another cheap and damaged objective of the exact same type might provide a clue, maybe some parts if you really enjoy puzzling through this sort of thing.

Better yet, maybe you'll hear from someone who has actually taken one of these apart? Good pictures of the damaged end are likely to help.

deBult

#5 Post by deBult » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:28 am

Carl Hunsingers guide to freeing up to spring tip on Olympus objectives gives guidance on opening them:

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-l ... ky-tip.pdf

The LB objectives parts diagrams:

http://alanwood.net/downloads/olympus-l ... agrams.pdf

MicroMan2

#6 Post by MicroMan2 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:03 pm

In extension to this thread, as I don't have want to make more threads. I have gotten a S Plan 20 Apo alongside with my 40x. Upon looking through the back of the objective, everything seems fine.
However with usage under the microscope there are some problems. Primarily when looking through a calibration slide using a dot, the formation of image is asymmetrical as I focus above and below the image. There seems to be a slight image plane difference that is unusual for the NA of the objective. I compared this with my S Plan Achromat 40 and it forms an image on a singular plane that the Apo does not. Focusing above and below the image is also symmetrical. Secondly, when trying with oblique lighting, the image formed is absolutely poor and everything becomes blurred rather than a distinct 3d image with a shadow like with my normal SPlan 20x achromat.

Does anybody have a clue on what causes these problems. If one has experienced these problems and they have disassembled their objectives, has the disassembly fixed the issue?

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:36 pm

Not sure exactly but just as a reminder make sure to exhaust all other avenues of inquiry before taking apart objectives.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

houstontx

#8 Post by houstontx » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm

I also have a 40x Splan APO with terrible performance, non flat image, hazy and awful spherical abberation. It looks ok through back element, but its not useable on the scope. Also thinking about some kind of disassembly and fix, however improbable.

fero

#9 Post by fero » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Hello all,
I just got SPlan APO 10x (not sure which version, apparently there are two) which has comma aberration, not possible to focus and hwen refocusing image deforms greatly. I think there must be something loosen inside or missaligned, though I can not imagine how it could happen. May be tightening screw got loosen during transportation. Did some of you trid to open your APOs already?
Thanks,
Fero

josmann

#10 Post by josmann » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 am

houstontx wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:04 pm
I also have a 40x Splan APO with terrible performance, non flat image, hazy and awful spherical abberation. It looks ok through back element, but its not useable on the scope. Also thinking about some kind of disassembly and fix, however improbable.
Just to make sure we're ticking all the boxes - The 40x SPlanApo is absolutely a difficult objective to use and will present a bad image when doing casual microbe hunting. The correction collar must be utilized to get anything close to a sharp image and performance will degrade quickly far beyond the bottom of the coverslip. I wasn't sure mine was good until I looked at my diatom test slide which has the frustules mounted immediately below a precision .17mm coverglass.
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE