Trying to find out about this Zeiss.

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
Sabatini

Trying to find out about this Zeiss.

#1 Post by Sabatini » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm

Best regards.
I am interested in buying this ZEISS MICROSCOPE...but I have no knowledge of its performance and configuration.
If it is complete or missing parts.
If you would be so kind as to enlighten me as to its usefulness to which technique is configured and if it corresponds to the retail value.
$ 430.
Thank you for your attention.
[youtube] https://youtu.be/TwOsSCu8KRI[/youtube]

Sabatini

Re: Trying to find out about this Zeiss.

#2 Post by Sabatini » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:40 pm

IMG_20210211_124010.jpg
IMG_20210211_124010.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
IMG_20210211_123939.jpg
IMG_20210211_123939.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:52 pm

It is a Zeiss standard (can't tell which). Has 10X WF eyepieces (I think) in a relatively modern binocular head. Objectives appear to be achromats (difficult to tell). Fixed stage, no X_Y movement so not useful for slides. Basic 1.3 (I think) condenser. In-base illumination and an epi-illumination, very old model, lamp; the microscope is configured for reflectance microscopy - but the objectives are for ordinary transmitted light, not top-illumination. Not sure if it contains fluorescence accessories; filters within the part between the head and the arm. The ep-illuminator does not look like an arc lamp, so not configured for fluorescence.

Is it worth the money - depends on the status of the mechanics, optics (are lenses delaminated) and illuminators. The epi-illumination fixture is of value, but for viewing and photography of live specimens, other parts are definitely needed: mechanical stage, trinocular head.

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:11 pm

That is a Zeiss Standard 14...maybe 15 with epi-fluoro with fluoro filters in the round black insert on the side of the epi unit. The lamp is a 12V 100W for the epi lighting and it looks to have a cord and rheostat for transmitted lighting. There is a flip top condenser sitting on top of the stage. As mentioned, there is no mechanical stage. Objectives look like a mix of old and new achromats. The larger objective maybe of a different make. You could remove the epi-fluoro piece and use it as a transmitted light microscope but you would want to get a mechanical slide holder. I wouldn't pay $430 for that.

Sabatini

#5 Post by Sabatini » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:09 am

Hobbys46.
Charles.
Thank you very much for your valuable information and your time.
For the above said I think that for that price I would not risk it especially that I do not have much experience with epifluorescence and for someone like me who does not have access to fluorophore less likely. I think the procedure and treatment to be have with the samples is too much for a simple hobbyist like me.

It is simply too much work for the moment, perhaps as I gain more experience I might opt to try this technique.
Thank you very much for giving me this new kind of knowledge.