Wild M5a stereo microscope pros and cons?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
PeteM

Wild M5a stereo microscope pros and cons?

#1 Post by PeteM » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:23 pm

I'm hoping that someone who has used both a Wild M5a and other stereo microscopes can explain what advantages, if any, the wider spacer of the optical tubes provides? Do the M5 and M5a possess any advantages over the M3, M7, M8 etc.?

Second question, assuming some significant appeal or advantages, what should a patient buyer expect to pay for an M5a??

PeteM

Re: Wild M5a stereo microscope pros and cons?

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:43 pm

Still hoping someone has used a Wild M5a (or maybe the M5) and can comment.

My situation is that I bought an M8 body and head from an Ebay seller. The head arrived with both prisms broken and loose -- apparently sold and shipped that way - but the zoom body is OK. Seller suggests I send it back and take a Wild M5a instead - something I'm not presently inclined to do. Whole thing made difficult by the seller (just 40 miles away) not able to understand or write much English - and myself even less Spanish.

Does the M5a offer and advantages over something like an M3Z or an M8?? My assumption is "no" -- but then there are those widely spaced eyetubes which likely provide a somewhat different image.

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:05 pm

I use a M5 at home, and I've used a lot of different Wild/Leica scopes at work, the ones I've used the most are the M5A, M3C, M3Z, M8 and Leica MZ9.5.

I have heard the the widely spaced tubes gives a stronger sense of perspective. I can't say that it is something I have felt strongly. If the effect is there, it is pretty subtle.

All of them have very good optics. I would be equally happy with either of them. But the ergonomics are quite different. I very much prefer handling the M3C, M3Z and M8. The vertically mounted zoom knob is just nicer to use than the horizontal wheel on the M5s. I actually think that the M3C is the nicest ones for everyday use, followed by M3Z. The more compact design really suits me, and I like fixed magnifications for taking repeatable measurements. The M3C is the one I returned to for tedious measurements in the lab. But if I could choose one, I'd go for the M8 thanks to it's higher maximum magnification.

The M5A is fine, but it's actually my least favorite of the lot. I would never accept a M5A instead of a M8.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Thanks, Viktor. It does seem to me than an M8 would be ideal for daily use and the M3C for photos.

Are there any significant differences between the M5 and the M5A?? Is the "A" just a later model or does it mean it as an Apo objective???

One of these days I hope to have a stereo scope capable of 150x or so and usable photos without empty magnification. That, however, is likely to be a long way off.

jfiresto

#5 Post by jfiresto » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:50 pm

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:05 pm
... I very much prefer handling the M3C, M3Z and M8. The vertically mounted zoom knob is just nicer to use than the horizontal wheel on the M5s....
I kind of like rolling the large, horizontal zoom wheel between both hands on the M7 models. I could imagine the wheel, however, could get old if it lurched or you could only use one hand.
-John

PrecisionInstruments

#6 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 am

M8 = Complete zoom range from minimum to maximum mag
M5 = 5 magnification steps only
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:43 pm

You can buy an apo 1:18 with transmitted illumination for around 4,000.00 plus shipping ( about 500.00)
I have not examined one but it appears to be the SMZ18, without the badge. It should be good for 150X with grace.