What is a Zeiss Standard 20?

Everything relating to microscopy hardware: Objectives, eyepieces, lamps and more.
mork2021

What is a Zeiss Standard 20?

#1 Post by mork2021 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 pm

I have purchased a Zeiss Standard 20, and will waiting for about 10 days for delivery. As I study the photos and have searched exhaustively questions arise. I hope I will be within parameters to ask on this list for ideas, knowledge, and opinions.

There is no rack for the condenser, that I can see. This stands for other Standard 20s I have seen on ebay and sellers' sites. The seller describes this as having a condenser that is fixed under that stage and centerable. The Standard 25 manual (a very good one on the Inet) shows clearly a control know to raise and lower the condenser, which is seemingly identical to that on my Zeiss Standard 16. No such manual for the Standard 20 was readily available online. Nor was I able to find a brochure. I have purchased a Zeiss Standard 20, and will waiting for about 10 days for delivery. As I study the photos and searched exhaustively questions arise. I hope I will be within parameters to ask on this list for ideas, knowledge, and opinions.

This leads me to wonder, what is this scope designed for? Many of them are around, and at least some of them have "F" objectives. I have found one mention of the "F 20" or F 100 objectives, which was described as a "semi-plan achromat" Elsewhere I saw that such a semi-plan achromat was preferable for photography to an achromat. Many microscopes on Ebay have these F objectives. "F" is not found in Zeiss literature defining the markings on objectives. A friend suggests it usually means "Fluorescence". Why so many on Ebay, when so little hard information can be found? The markings are painted on and not engraved as is sometimes found on Zeiss objectives, including the other ones I have.

At least one Standard 20 is advertised online with 4 infinity objectives, with a different kind of Eyepiece, not a KPL or CPL. The seller indicates this has the usual 160 tube length of other Zeiss Standard scopes.

Are exhaustive specs available online for this model of scope?

I got this at a good price, and it looks clean. While I wait, I hope to get a good idea what I have signed up for. The label on the front is marked "Standard 20 West Germany." Does this distinguish it somehow?

Is this a special use scope?

The expertise on this list is remarkable, beyond even my ability to put it to good use; however, I still hope to learn more about this scope.

Alan Davis

mork2021

Re: What is a Zeiss Standard 20?

#2 Post by mork2021 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:23 pm

I failed to mention that many Zeiss Standard 20s I have seen have four-hole turrets. On this list has been mentioned that Standard 20s have removable turrets, of 5 or 6 places.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:28 am

As you say, not much documentation on the Zeiss Standard 20.

A quick look at what is available on ebay would seem to indicate a pared down 'basic' microscope. A step or two or three down from the 18!

As to the 'F' designated objectives - this is what the Standard fuer Medizin und Biologie brochure has to say (note - google translate)

With a largely leveled field of view, this makes it easier to quickly examine the specimens.
Well usable for microphotography (documentation), especially if the remaining curvature of the field of view
is still within the range of the object thickness. (E.g. cuts with a thickness of 5 ... 15 µm for Objective 40).
Attachments
Zeiss F.png
Zeiss F.png (86.57 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:54 am

Hi Alan,
here you can find a bit of information on the Standard 20: https://www.ebay.ch/itm/Zeiss-Mikroskop ... 421f1e0504
It is not a direct descendant of the 14-18 line, but the low end offer from the last 160mm line, perhaps from the 1990s. I think these instruments were also available with infinity setup, called ICS or so.
The components are not all interchangeable with the more common Standard 14-18, GFL, WL Phomi and Universal. The simplified condenser can't be interchanged with a Standard phase contrast or dark field condenser.
The plus side: You can expect to get a microscope that gives a good image with the least possible fiddling of controls. Very beginner friendly. There probably is an option to insert single phase annulli (perhaps not easy to locate though). You probably find an easy way to acheive oblique illumination. The F-achromats have a good reputation and will do fine for all common purposes. It probably is a long lasting microscope with good usability.

So if you are more interested in the objects you obsere than in the microscope you use it will probably be just right.

Bob